How to make Nabulsi cheese الجبنة النابلسية

Nabulsi (or naboulsi) cheese is one of the most popular white brined cheeses made in the Middle East. Its name denotes its place of origin, Nablus, Palestine and it is well-known throughout Palestine, Lebanon, Syria and Jordan.Nabulsi cheese is produced primarily from goat milk but sheep’s milk can also be used. Nabulsi cheese is white and rectangular in shape. It is semi-hard with no gas holes. It becomes soft and elastic when heated making it idea for frying or grilling.

Nabulsi cheese can be eaten fresh as salty table cheese, can be used as a stuffing for phylo dough, short crust pastry or a simple pita pocket. Fried in oil it makes a great appetizer, sweetened it can be used in different middle eastern desserts such as kinafeh or kataief.

Growing up it was always my grandmother who sent us the nabulsi cheese we needed for a whole year. She bought it from people who have their own goats and are specialized in making this type of cheese. Then my parents decided to give making nabulsi cheese at home and the results were amazing, only they made a variety that is less salty and less firm that can last in the fridge for a couple of weeks as opposed to the firm salty nabulsi cheese that you can store at room temperature for up to a year. I am sharing both recipes with you today.

I personally started making cheese thanks to John over at from the Bartolini kitchens and Tanya from Chica Andalusa. It all started with ricotta and when you taste homemade cheese there is really no turning back. I made cottage cheese and yogurt cheese, feta cheese and now the queen of all cheeses, Nabulsi cheese

The milk:

You can make Nabulsi cheese with fresh  unboiled goat milk or sheep milk. Sheep milk tends to have more fat and more protein and more milk solids when compared to goat cheese. Sheep milk will give you a greater amount of cheese but goat milk will give you a better tasting cheese that will last longer.You cannot use ultra-pasteurized milk .The temperature and time combination is lethal to bacteria, killing virtually all that would be beneficial in cheese making.

Additional information on where you can find raw milk in the USA can be found at here

To boil or not to boil:

To make Nabulsi cheese you need to start with fresh unboiled milk as with pasteurization, boiling changes the milk in a way that prevents the formation of  the large firm curds needed to make nabulsi cheese.The cheese will be boiled after it is finished to sterilize it.

Rennet:

you can use tablet rennet or liquid rennet. You may find liquid rennet easier to measure accurately. 1 tsp Liquid rennet equals 1 rennet tablet. 1 rennet tablet is used for 20 liters of milk

Home made Nabulsi cheese

5 liters Fresh sheep milk

1/4 tablet of rennet

Salt

2 cups water

Heat the milk up tp 40 C or until it is slightly warm to the touch

crush 1/4 tablet of rennet using the back of a spoon , add 2 cups of water and stir till it is completely dissolved

Add the rennet water to the milk and stir well to make sure the rennet is well distributed throughout the milk

Once you add the rennet you need make sure not to disturb the milk, cover the milk pot with a lid and place it in a warm place covered with a blanket

Leave undisturbed for 2 hours. After two hours you will find that the milk has separated into one big block of cheese and whey

Using a plate of a big ladle transfer the cheese to a colander lined with a cheese cloth or a clean fabric with fine weave. You want to keep the cheese curds as big as possible, that is why you use a plate or a big ladle.

Allow the cheese to drain for a couple of hours, once it starts to firm up a little,sprinkle with a little salt (1/4 teaspoon) gather the edges of the cheese cloth to cover the cheese and place a heavy weight on top of it to help it drain, leave over night

The next morning your cheese should be one mass that is slightly firm

Flip over a plate that you have sprinkled with salt

Cut into rectangles and sprinkle the top with salt. At this stage the cheese is still soft and needs to be handled with care. the salt will draw out more whey from the cheese and allows it to harden.

leave the cheese undisturbed till evening, flip and sprinkle with salt and leave over night.

The next morning flip the cheese again and sprinkle with a little salt and leave till the evening.

In the evening arrange the cheese in a container separating each layer with nylon bag that you have sprinkled with salt.

Leave in the fridge for 3-7 days. During this time the cheese will continue to hard due to the presence of the salt.

After 3-7 days your cheese is ready to eat, you only need to boil it first.

To boil the cheese, heat water in a pot till it boils then add the cheese a couple of rectangles at a time, lower the heat and cook for 3-5 minutes.

Using a slotted spoon take the cheese gently out of the water and allow to cool on a plate

Boiling softens the cheese that is why you need to handle it with care until it cools and firms up again

Nabulsi cheese made this way will last up to 2 weeks in the fridge.

If you want to store the cheese for a year you will need to make the following alterations to the instructions

• instead of leaving the cheese outside the fridge for 2 days, you need to leave it out for a week sprinkling with salt each morning and evening (the amount of salt you sprinkle is small, similar to what you will sprinkle over a dish or a meal but the amount adds up because you repeat the salting twice a day) the salt is meant to draw out the whey and harden the cheese and that will allow it to live longer
  • To brine the cheese you need 1 cup of salt for every 6 cups of water. Bring to a boil, add flavoring agents (traditionally mahlab and mastic are used)
  • If you want to flavor the cheese you can add 1/2 teaspoon of mastic and 1/2 teaspoon of mahlab (both whole not ground) and wrap them in a cheese cloth or another fine weave clean fabric and add them to the boiling water after the cheese has set in the fridge.
    Another option would be to add only the mahlab to the boiling water and add the mistaka to the jar you store the cheese in. You slightly grind 1 teaspoon of mastic (you just want to break up the crystals a little) and sprinkle  it between the layers of cheese in the jar.
  •  If you would like to add the black seeds do it after the straining the cheese for a couple of hours when you sprinkle the salt and cover it and weight it early in the cheese making process. Do remember to clean the black seeds, preferably wash them and allow them to dry or they will be a source of contamination and may ruin your cheese. There is also a slight risk that the black seeds will cause the cheese to be darker in color. I personally don’t add black seeds to nabulsi cheese
  • Add the cheese rectangle 4-5 at a time and boil until the cheese starts to bubble slightly
  • Using a slotted spoon take the cheese out of the brine and allow to cool on a plate
  • Repeat with the remaining cheese till you have boiled the entire amount
  • Allow the brine to cool
  • Arrange the cheese in a jar and cover with the cooled brine
  • Store in a cool place for up to a year.
  • Cheese made this way will be quite salty but that is necessary to preserve it, when you want to eat it you can either soak it over night in water  or boil in water for a couple of minutes

Trouble shoot

My milk did not form clots

• Use of ultra-pasteurized dairy products.
  • Over-heating the milk and thereby killing the live cultures.
  • Using rennet that’s too old or not using enough.
  • Not waiting long enough for the curd to form.

My cheese won’t firm up

• You did not sprinkle with salt
  • The weight you used to press the cheese is not heavy enough

My cheese crumbled when I boiled it

• you boiled it for too long
  • you did not leave it in the fridge long enough to harden

So you have made Nabulsi cheese and now you don’t know what to do with it?

How about these recipes for a start

Fteer falahi (Cheese and anise flat bread

Cheese pastry “fatayer jebneh

1. Just to put a smile on your face and because your recipe is excellent!! I like to come here.I learn always something new. Thank you.

2. flavorsofthesun

/  June 4, 2012

This was a fascinating post. I’ve never made cheese using rennet, though I have long wanted to. And your step-by-step instructions make it seem so easy. I can almost taste this cheese as I read this post. Thank you.

3. Terri Betz

/  June 4, 2012

Awesomeness! Pinned n shared, n shared! I love your site! I just never tell you which makes me one stinky fan :( But not today! :) Thanks for all your work in bringing us some great memories n parties in our kitchen! You rock!

• Thank you so much Terry for the comment, for following and for sharing. I am really glad you enjoy my recipes, your kind comment made my morning, thank you

4. excellent tutorial but i only have cows milk.. well soon i will have cows milk if daisy every has her calf! and this looks so easy too.. i love home made cheese too, my cheese making will start very soon.. have a lovely day.. c

5. What a wonderful post, Sawsan! I had not heard of or tried Nabulsi cheese, but now I really want to. And you make the process sound like fun…I love that you had some helping hands there at the beginning of the process. :) I also love the look of the fatayer jebneh pastry. Thanks so much for sharing!

• It was my mum’s hands actually, I took the first couple of pictures in my parent’s house, the rest were at my home.
      I hope you will have a chance to try Nabulsi cheese, it is my favorite cheese of all time

6. Thanks for the cheese making lesson and information about this cheese. I would n’t be making this cheese anytime soon, but I sure would love to eat some fleer falahi and fatayer jebneh, they look so delicious.

7. Thank you for teaching me about yet another variety of cheese :D
    Looks yummy!

CCU

8. What gorgeous cheese. Unfortunately I can’t find fresh milk … goat OR sheep locally so I’ll just admire your industry. :)

9. Looks simply wonderful!

10. Congratulations, Sawsan, on tackling another cheese! You are so right, “Once you taste homemade cheese there is really no turning back.” I’ve never tried nabulsi cheese but I know a Middle-Eastern grocery that might sell it. I hope so. Unable to get raw milk here, i don’t think I could make it correctly. Then again, if I buy some and love it, I just might end up looking for a way to get some raw milk. :)

• All thanks go to you John, I wouldn’t have started all this if it wasn’t for your encouragement :)
      The link I provided has a few places where they deliver raw milk to chicago, I don’t know how much they charge but maybe you can check it out if you like the nabulsi cheese

• I am familiar with that chart; the website that originated it is listed as a source on my Cheesy Stuff page. It is only legal to buy raw milk in the state to the north of me but the distance is too far to make it worth my while. In the other neighboring states, I can get access to raw cow’s milk if I buy a “share” of their dairy herd. It just isn’t feasible for the relatively small amounts that I need. I have a good source for milk that is pasteurized at a low temperature and will have to be contented with that — until I buy a cow! :)
        Thanks for the suggestions. I do appreciate them.

• I was just trying to help John, sorry it didn’t work out. I was meaning to tell you that I got my parents addicted to your feta cheese, they LOVE it and they are some of the pickiest people I know when it comes to cheese..thank you for giving them a recipe they really enjoy

11. you did not just make your own cheese?> What! Girl, I am totally impressed!

12. Ahhh…..cheese. I need to try it this summer. It’s on my list. I just find it so intimidating, but you and Chicago John just make it look so good and not too hard. We’ll see…I’ll keep you posted. Gorgeous photos Sawsan!

• You and the kids will have loads of fun with cheese Kristy, start with the easy ones like ricotta and you will be hocked before you know it
      Thank you for your kind comment on my pictures :)

Thank you for your kind comment on my pictures :)

13. This is amazing! As soon as I can get hold of some liquid rennet I will be making this. Have never seen cheese which is boiled afterwards, am curious as to how it tastes! Thanks too for the lovely mention – we need to get together and start a cheese making co-operative :)

• Oh that would be loads of fun! I wish we could get together and cook, bake and talk…that would be a day to remember
      if you have a chance to try this, I would love to hear what you think of it

14. This looks awesome, Sawsan. I am definitely intrigued by home made cheese and I have already passed the entry level John’s home made ricotta! I like this one that it’s not brined quite as much as feta, perhaps this will be my next attempt at cheese. I loved your Fteer falahi — my second attempt was much more successful (I made it at the cottage on the long weekend in May, post to come soon).

• I am really glad to hear that the second attempt was much more successful, looking forward to your post and if you decide to make this cheese and need any help, just send me an email

15. mona

/  June 5, 2012

all your dairy posts brought back such sweet childhood memories, of living abroad and having hanging cheesecloths to make labneh or having big pots and bowls in the kitchen corner under blankets… bringing a bit of home with you where ever that may be.

16. Oooh, a new cheese! That always makes me happy. I definitely need to get on this cheese making bandwagon!

17. I love making cheese but I’ve never made this one. I hadn’t ever heard of it. Sounds delicious though. You’re right about homemade cheese tasting fantastic.

18. Very impressive. You have so much patience. What is your favorite dish to make with this type of cheese?

19. This sounds delicious Sawsan. I’ve got homemade cheese on my “to make” list and this was very inspiring to read :)

20. Congratulations on making your own cheese. Like you, I have been inspired to make cheese thanks to John. Your cheese looks amazing and what a great skill to add to your repertoire! xx

21. I’d love to try that … is it anything like Feta Cheese?

22. For those who can get the fresh unboiled milk, this is an inspiring post. You always have such wonderful tutorials, Sawsan.

23. Sawsan my darling! Thank you SO much for this recipe! I can’t wait til I try it. Thanks for all the troubleshooting tips, too :) If I get caught up with study/teaching, I’ll have to opt for using goat’s cheese for the nabulseeyah, but I really hope I can try this out! :D

24. Sami

/  July 4, 2012

Salam Sawsan we live in Australia and we misse Kunafah so much as it is not avaialble here. My question is if we follow you cheese making recipe will this cheese be suitable for making Kunafah. I mean is it going to be strechy when heated?. I know how to make the white traditional cheese we eat in the middle east. I aways make it using cows milk but this cheese remains hard when heated. Thank you very much for this nice website

Sami

• Ahlan Sami
      If you follow my cheese recipe the outcome would be very suitable for kunafeh.
      If you want to make the cheese to be stored for a year it will be really salty so what you have to do is slice it into thin strips and soak it in water, change the water every 3-4 hours till the cheese is sweet
      Your second choice would be to make the cheese that lasts a couple of weeks in the firdge and this one would be perfect for kunafeh, you can either boil it for a couple of minutes to reduce the salt or soak it for a couple of hours and you are good to go. The cheese will be soft and streachy.
      Another trick I learnt from a friend of mine is to replace 1/3 of the cheese with mozzarella to help with the melting

I hope this helps and if you have any more question I would be more than happy to help

• Hi Sami. I’m also in Australia – in Melbourne – and can recommend some great places for knafeh here if you’re interested. Great idea through to use Sawsan’s recipe at home! I’m sure it’s delicious.

• Anonymous

/  October 15, 2012

I am difinatly interested in Knafe Nabilsiyah and not the lebenese type. I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

• Rawan

/  March 12, 2013

Yasmeen, help! I want knafeh nabulsiyeh in Melbourne! Where can I get some?

25. Khadijah

/  July 4, 2012

As-salam alaykum sister! Where did you find rennet? I live in KSA and I’m not sure where to look. Thanks!

• Wa alikom al salam wa rahmato Alla
      I buy the rennet at the pharmacy here. Where exactly in KSA are you?
      You can also buy it online, I can give you the links if you are interested

• Khadijah

/  July 23, 2012

As-salam alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu! I live in Dammam, alhamdulillah. Thanks for the pharmacy idea; that is probably the last place I would have looked!

• Wa alikom al salam Khadijah. I hope you will be able to find it

26. Absolutely fantastic! I have fond memories of the Nabulsi cheese my great aunt in Jerusalem used to make. Now I can recreate this here, in my new life in Australia. This post really touched my heart… and my tastebuds :)

27. Salaam! Great post and really inspiring! Is nabulsi cheese anything like akkawi cheese? Because I really want to know how to make the akkawi cheese

28. Eman Alghoul

/  December 1, 2012

how can I buy nabulsi cheese on line from london

29. Hi Sawsan,
    im zeina hamze from lebanon but now i live in Belize..
    one question..here i can’t found sheep or goat’s milk..can i make it with powder milk..or cow’s milk(liquid)..thank u in advance..
    do u know arabic?!..

• اهلا زينه :)
      Yes I know Arabic :) Thank you for your kind comment
      Sadly this type of cheese won’t work with cow’s milk. There is a recipe I need to try that uses powdered milk and cream. I will let you know if it works out

• thank u so much..
        انا بعمل جبنة من جليب البودرة..بس اكيد مش متل ال بتعمليها..بعملها بالخل(استعملت المنفحة حصلت على نفس النتييجة ) استعملتها بالكنافة بس ما بدوب لوحدها الا اذا استعملت الموزريلا معها..طيبة بس مش متل الجبنة النابلسية او العكاوي..
        الله يعطيكي العافية يا رب على الموقع الرائع….

• اهلا زينه..
        الجبنه اللي بتحكي عنها في ناس بيسموها
        paneer و في ناس بيسموها easy ricotta
        هي مثل ما حكيتي ما بتذوب بالحراره
        اللي انا قصدته انه في وصفه شفتها بتستخدم حليب بودره و كريما و منفحه بس ما جربتها
        اسفه اني ما قدرت ساعدك اكثر و شكرا للطفك

• ست سوسن..
        على امل تجربيها وتعطينا النتيجة…وانا على يقين انوالنتيجة حتكون رائعة متل هذه وكتير من الوصفات الرائعة انشاءالله
        شكرا كتير الك وانشاءالله منجرب النابلسية الرائعة بس انزل على لبنان :D

• كلك زوق يا زينه…شكرا للطفك

30. Hi Sawsan,
    im zeina hamze from lebanon but now i live in Belize..
    while i was searching for Nabulsi cheese for making kunafah..i found ur page..and im so glad to pass on it…your cheese looks amazing,and i was very need of it..thank you for u

31. Wow..you are such a great cook..I would love to make this someday and I am sure I will come back to this recipe :)

32. Tayeb

/  December 26, 2012

Salam Sawsan, great recipes and tips, when you boil cheese to store I think, remembering the old days back in Palestine watching my mother and grandmother on our annual cheese boiling rituals add ” مستكه” to the boiling water for cheese to give it special aroma , you could also add black sesame seeds to cheese “حبه البركة” to give the cheese a distinctive flavor !.

33. Island girl

/  December 31, 2012

can i use cows milk?

34. Amal

/  January 2, 2013

Salams Sawsan, What is rennet called in Arabic? Im in Jordan and would like to know where I could purchase this from.

• اهلا امل…اسمها دورا او منفحه و بتلاقيها بالصيدليات

• Amal

/  January 3, 2013

Thanks so much Sawsan. Another question Ive got access to Cows milks but if I didnt could you make it with powdered milk?

Are you still based in Amman

• I have never tried it with powdered milk, not sure if it will work. I read once that you can use powdered milk in cheese making but you have to add heavy cream to it but I never tried it.
        I will try it out and let you know
        I am still based in Amman yes :)

35. Rawan

/  March 11, 2013

Hello there! I was wondering if you or any of your followers out therr would know where I can buy knafeh nabilsiyeh in Melbourne? I’m dying to have some, and all the shops I stop at only have knafeh with ishta :( thanks for the help, your food looks great, keep it up!

36. That cheese looks seriously good! My husband is a cheese addict and would love something like that so I am going to give it a go, thank you so much for sharing the recipe :)

37. Jenine

/  April 12, 2013

hi sawsan
    i wanted to know when can i add the habbit el barakeh to my cheese when making it. at what point should i put it?

• Hello Jenine
      I would sprinkle it as I am ladeling the cheese curds to strain in the colander but make sure that you have washed and dried the habbit el barakeh before using it. Or else it might contaminate the cheese

38. Jenine

/  April 12, 2013

sawsan,
    I have just attempted to make my cheese as you directed, for some reason it didnt quiet hold after 2 hours as you said. i used 1 gallon of milk to 1 whole rennet tablet to make sure it holds, but i will be honest with u i think my milk may have been hot. should it be warm as if u r warming milk for an infant? I would like to call you in amman and better undwerstand. I am from amman too if you dont mind my email is jeninelhindi@yahoo.com if you would like to hit me with an email so i may contact you for better advice.
    thanks your sister
    jenine

39. Hussein

/  May 28, 2013

Hi Sawsan,
    Thank you so much for this link. I have been living in Australia for 25 years and there is no where Nabulsi cheese. I drove over an hour today to get some Raw Milk (cow milk) no goat or sheep is available unfortunately, I know it’s not the same but as we say el ree7a wala el 3adam. My question to you is if I decide to take the short life for the cheese (few weeks) when can I add the Mastika and the Mahlab is it during the boiling ? and once we boil it do I use a jar and the brine for storage?

Many thanks in advance for your help .

Regards,
    Hussein

• Hello Hussein,
      You have two options, you can tie the slightly crushed mastika in a small clean cloth and add it to the boiling water and then take it out and add it into the jar you store the cheese in.

Or you can grind some mastika (i teaspoon mastika with 1 tablespoon salt) and sprinkle that on the cheese as you as making it instead of plain salt.

Once you boil the cheese, if you plan on eating it within a week to 10 days just place it in an air tight container and keep it in the fridge, no brine required.
      You need the brine only if you want to store it for a long time.
      Best of luck with making the cheese, if you have any more questions please let me know. I am more than happy to help.
      If you have a chance let me know how your cheese making adventure goes
      All the best
      Sawsan

40. Hussein

/  May 28, 2013

Reply to Rawan in Melbourne,
    Firstly, thank you Sawsan for your replying so quick and I will definatley let you know how my adventure went.
    As for Rawan all sweet makers in Melbourne are from Tripoli and the people of Tripoli like Eshta more than cheese and even when they make cheese Kenafa they use Sweet cheese which is pretty much has no flavour.
    The best way to make Kenafa Nabulsiya in Melbourne has to be at home this is what I have been doing for years and it taste great and the closest you will get to Nabulsiya.
    Buy the Katifa from a middle eastern shop and colouring from Safeway or coles.
    For the cheese buy Akkawi cheese from middle eastern shop and mozzarella for the stretching part.
    Cut the AKKAWi and Mozzarella and soak them in water and add mistika and mahalab to the water (you can add blossom or rose water to your liking). Drain out the water and create your Kenafa .
    Result is amazing and it is the closet you will get in look and taste to Nabulsiya.

Hope I was able to answer your question.

Regards,
    Hussein.

• Anonymous

/  May 29, 2013

Thanks Hussein! Would you by any chance know which shop to go to for akkawi cheese, I have only been fortunate enough to find halloum.

41. Hussein

/  May 30, 2013

Hi there,
    The two shops below you can buy Akkawi Cheese in Melbourne from. Buy the one with the Blue Label (chetoura) with full salt do not buy the Asala one which is low in salt as it’s low in flavour.
    Al-Alamy Cafe & Grocery Shop
    6/51 Waterfield St Coburg
    Melbourne VIC 3058‎
    (03) 9355 8866

Hassoun Coffee & Grocery Store
    384 Gilbert Rd
    Preston VIC 3072
    (03) 9478 8393

Regards,
    Hussein

42. Hussein

/  June 6, 2013

Hi Sawsan,
    Just to let you know that the recipe went well thank you for all your help and the results were great. I think I might’ve pressed too hard on the cheese so it’s slightly flatter than yours and also I had another question? Some of the cheese while it was in the fridge (for 5 days) the edges of the cheese had a blue colour is that normal or possible to happen.

Regards,
    Hussein.

• Hello Hussein,
      Really glad the cheese worked well
      The thickness of the cheese depends on how wide and thick your strainer you press the cheese in is and how long and how hard you press it.
      As for the blue it is not normal, maybe your container had a bit of moisture? make sure that it is a completely dry container and that it is airtight

43. Laiyla

/  July 18, 2013

Hey another question I didnt necessarily leave it out for 2 days like u said. Does leaving it out the fridge give it a taste? I’m interested to no why does it have to be outside the fridge for those 2 days?

44. Laiyla

/  July 18, 2013

Salami alaikum Sawsan,
    I wanted to say thank god I found your website we love Nablus cheese and I just wanted to say the recipe came out amazing but one thing how come it has no flavor. The cheese from Palestine has a taste that’s amazing is it because its cows milk? If I used goat will it have a diff flavor. And can I use store bought goats milk will it work?

• Salam Laiyla
      The taste you are talking about could be the mastic مستكه and Mahlab محلب . Did you use any? the other thing could be the milk. Goat or sheep milk gives the cheese a different taste when compared to cow milk. The store bought goat milk will not work unless it is raw milk. If you can get raw milk then go for sheep milk, it will give you the most taste and the largest amount

45. Laiyla

/  July 18, 2013

Salam sawsan,
    I am sooooo happy ok I’m going to try شكران one more time and tell u the results. This is sooo fun:).. Ramadan Mubarak inshallah you have a good one.

46. شجعتيني أعملها بالبيت مع أنه منقدر نشتريها من السوق

47. sally

/  September 24, 2013

Dear Chef,
    I have sent you a question , Hope you received it!! if not i’ll send it again

• Hello Sally.
      I am so sorry I seem to have missed your question. Can you send it again please?

• sally

/  September 24, 2013

Hi Sawsan,
        Today i tried the pita bread , Oh what a delight i felt i’m in Amman! I’m gonna try to make the cheese today but I was wondering if the Pasteurized, Homogenized milk would do (that’s what is written on the milk box)!
        Why don’t you come over to Texas and we’ll open a rest. here :-)
        Thanks

• Hello Sally,
        Really glad you enjoyed the pita bread :)
        I make nabulsi cheese with raw milk, I doubt that pasteurized milk would work but you can try with a small amount or you can find some calcium chloride which will help with pasteurised milk

48. I’m happy, happy happy to find your blog, I have a bit scary, but I want to make this cheese. A boy walks past my house with goats and sells milk. THANKS FOR SHARE!

49. Ramzi

/  November 10, 2013

Awesome blog , thank you so much!!!

50. I’m a cheese maker myself, but I haven’t even heard of this, at least not by this name. This looks beautiful, and definitely like a cheese I’m going to have to try making. A couple of notes, though:

– How much weight is “a heavy weight?” The same weight as the cheese (1 gallon of milk = roughly 1 pound of cheese)? 5 pounds? 25 pounds? The amount of weight makes a HUGE difference in the outcome of the cheese.

– Boiling/ultra-pasteurizing the milk does indeed make for a milk that won’t make curd, but not because it destroys the bacteria. The problem is that the excess heat alters the protein structure so that the proteins won’t cling to each other to form curd.

51. Hussein

/  January 22, 2014

Hi Rawan and all Melbourne people,
    Now Kenafa Nabulseya available in Melbourne here is the link https://www.facebook.com/knafeh.nabulseyeh?fref=ts
    He does it from home so you order and pick up .

52. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and
    wanted to mention that I have really loved
    browsing your blog posts. After all I will be
    subscribing on your feed and I am hoping you write again very soon!

53. Houda

/  April 3, 2014

جزاك الله خيرا

54. I live in Pakistan and i don’t know if i can find rennet tablets.What should i do to make this cheese if rennet is not available?

• Sadly you can’t make this cheese without rennet. Maybe you can order Rennet online ?

• Yes I guess, I will look around pharmacies. Thank you so much. You blog is simply amazing.

• Anonymous

/  July 16, 2014

You could ask your local butcher if he will save a calf’s fourth stomach to you (a veal calf, that has only ever had milk, not grass). Also look into ordering vegetarian rennet online, if you want to be sure that your cheese is halal or kosher — rennet tablets aren’t necessarily made from rennet that was slaughtered in a manner that is consistent with halal/zabiha. Vegetarian rennet comes in liquid form, and should never be frozen because it will stop working; but it also should not stay very warm, so order it in the autumn before it gets cold enough to freeze during the shipping.

55. Salam ..I live in Pakistan…and i coudnt find akkawi cheese….can u suggest me alternate cheese..thanks.

56. Zahieh

/  September 9, 2014

Salam .My name is zahieh and I live in Edmonton-Canada.I have been looking for so long for the way to make nabulsi cheese as it is my son’s favourite cheese.I am planning to make it today but I have few questions to ask first:-Can I use store goat milk to make the nabulsi cheese?-I only have powder rennet .will it work?-Can you send me the link where I can buy rennet on line.Thank you

57. Karmel

/  September 18, 2014

Love your recipes! We always make nabulsi cheese, but I was looking for akawai cheese recipe…can you help me out? thanks in advance! :)

1. How to make your own feta cheese | Chef in disguise