Pavlova

strawberry pavlova

A while back I promised my friend Maureen from orgasmic chef that I was going to make a Pavlova and dedicate it to her. She loves Pavlova and I kept telling her that Pavlova has been on my “must try” list forever. Well, it no longer is! and I have to say, I can’t blame Maureen for loving it so much!

Eating Pavlova is like eating clouds, only these clouds come with a crystal lining not a silver one! The outside of the Pavlova is crisp and crunchy while the inside is soft and marshmallow like. To perfectly compliment the meringue clouds, the topping is a combination of velvety cream and fruits. The fruit topping not only adds a beautiful color and makes for an elegant presentation but they also help balance the sweetness of the meringue and the richness of the cream.

If you have never made pavlova before, I strongly urge you to. It is really easy to make, very elegant and a  true treat for the senses.

One year ago:A wake up call “Alton Brown Whey Pancakes”

Two years ago:Focaccia bread with rosemary, olives and cherry tomatoes

pavlova

Pavlova

4 egg whites

1 1/4 cups white sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon vinegar

2 teaspoons corn starch

Topping

1 pint heavy cream

Fresh fruit – kiwi, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, passion fruit, peaches, pineapple, or other fruit of your choice

Strawberry syrup

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Draw a 9-inch circle on the parchment paper.

In a large bowl, beat egg whites until they hold soft peaks.

Gradually add in the sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until thick and glossy.

Test to see if the sugar is fully dissolved by rubbing a little of the meringue between your thumb and index finger. The meringue should feel smooth, not gritty. If it feels gritty the sugar has not fully dissolved so keep beating until it feels smooth between your fingers

Gently fold in vanilla extract, lemon juice, and cornstarch.

If you are worried about the meringue sticking to the parchment, sprinkle the parchment with a little corn starch

Spoon mixture inside the circle drawn on the parchment paper. Working from the center, spread mixture toward the outside edge, building edge slightly. This should leave a slight depression in the center.

Place the pavlova into the oven, immediately lower the heat to 150 C

Bake for 1 hour.When it’s ready it should look crisp around the edges and on the sides and be dry on top

Turn the oven off at the end of the cooking time and open the door slightly then leave the meringue in it until it completely cools this will prevent the meringue from cracking

In a small bowl, beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form; set aside.

Remove the paper, and place meringue on a flat serving plate.

Fill the center of the meringue with whipped cream, and top with fruit slices and drizzle with strawberry syrup

pavlova with strawberry sauce

1. I love meringue desserts — and I love reading you describing your food and experiences with it — it always makes me smile!

2. Dear Sawsan – this looks beautiful – this has been in my to-do list for long…Seeing your pictures i am also getting motivated to make some.
    Love the last picture with flowing strawberry syrup…

3. This looks beautiful – I don’t know why I have never tried making pavlova before. Thanks for the nudge!

4. I think I will have to try this
    looks yummy!
    Thanks ChefInDisquise!
    Take Care…..
    )0(
    maryrose

5. Nagmana

/  April 5, 2013

Inshallah I will try

6. What a perfect pavlova this is! The fear of it cracking had kept me from making one and now, I will follow your tip to keep the oven door open and try making it in shaa Allah!

7. What a beautiful sentiment, I know Maureen will be very touched. Your pavlova is exceptional. So pretty with the sliced strawberries and slivers of mint and that drizzle of coulis; I’m not much of a sweet eater but I would gladly dig into a generous slice. Speaking of slice, how does it cut? Just wondering if the individual presentation is as elegant as the whole? Hope you have a beautiful weekend Sawsan, it’s finally looking a little more like spring here, just wish the temperatures would cooperate!

8. I’m extremely tempted to make a pavlova after reading your post Sawsan. Beautiful photos! The strawberry syrup looks amazing. I’ve never made one as for years all I’ve ever heard was that my mother-in-law’s pavlova was the ‘best ever’. She had an unofficial ‘best pavlova’ competition amongst her friends in the 1970s and won it. A hard act to follow!

9. Looks gorgeous! I made pavlova once but I think I overbeat it b/c it wouldn’t hold it’s shape and I had to put it in a pan. But it tasted amazing!

10. This looks magnificent! I’ve never eaten Pavlova before, but your pictures are surely making me want to change that! :)

11. What a great use for the coming spring fruit. I can’t wait to try this… It has been on my “to try” list too.

12. That is incredible! I’ve eaten heaps of pavlova but none as beautiful as that one. Thanks heaps !

13. For the love………….a dessert my Mother made often when I was a child! We lived on a ranch and always had plentiful eggs and fresh milk and cream. Oh Sawson, you have brought back beautiful memories………why haven’t I made this??!!?? You have inspired me to make this. Thank you so much…………again!

14. Very impressive for your first time pavlova. My family always makes two huge pavlovas as part of our traditional Australian lunch both with different fruit toppings on them, usually a mixed berry topping and my personal favorite of mango, banana and passionfruit.

15. Miss A still talks about when we made this dessert. She LOVED it! Yours looks absolutely gorgeous Sawsan. Don’t you just love how light and fluffy they are?! :)

16. I’m glad you’ve tried a pavlova – we’re very proud of this dessert Down Under. And it looks like you mastered pavlova making very easily xx

/  April 6, 2013

Just have to be smiling on this Saturday afternoon in eastern Australia looking at your beautiful pavlova, which naturally is somewhat of a national dish for us! You have made an absolute classic: thank you for the compliment. I have to admit to adding the pulp of a few kiwifruit to the strawberries usually: good to look at, good to taste :) !

18. isn’t the Pavlova just one of the best desserts.. I love how light it is.. tried it for the first time.. a couple of weeks back.. absolutely loved it.. it just disappears in your mouth.. I now want to try individual pavs.. that should be fun!!

19. Your pavlova really does look good! I love meringues, and when strawberries come into season I may well make something like this! Beautiful photos Sawsan! :D

20. Dennie Raviv

/  April 6, 2013

Hi Sawsan,
    I fill my Pavlova with home made lemon curd and then top it with whipped cream and fresh or frozen berries.
    it is a real stunner

21. How beautiful is this cake. Yummy!

22. Beautiful Pavlova ! I bet Maureen is just tickled pink and I love how the strawberry sauce is just dripping off the sides. You have such pretty plates Sawson! I have never made this dessert yet either maybe I will give it a go…

23. My mother keeps asking me to make her meringues, think it will have to be your pavlove which is stunning!

24. marwah

/  April 6, 2013

salam aleyki sawsan..
    i’ve tried two of your recipes; labneh and pita bread.. they were very successful.. when i need to a recipe from the arabic cousine, firstly i serach in your web site.. and a few minutes ago i searched felafel recipe but could not find. what do you think about posting a felafel recipe. this is a request from one of your followers :)) i know this comment is not related by the recipe but, i could not know where to write. if i did sth wrong i ask your forgiveness. by the way pavlova seems so yummy.. loves from turkey:))

25. New Zealand is the land of pavlovas and everyone here knows how to make them. Except me. My sister makes a great pavlova so I have never had to. They do make an impressive dessert for guests and yours is beautiful.

26. Gorgeous! This has been on my long list of recipes to try for way too long – definitely something I need to move to the top! This looks wonderful – thanks.

27. I love Maureen’s dishes, and they are always gorgeous. This one is no exception, looks every bit as mouthwatering as Maureen’s words always promise. Yummm!!

28. Ethereal, beautiful, and and so scrumptious looking. I have never made one either, but I do think I must Sawsan. Have a wonderful week my friend.

29. Now that i know why is that my pavlova is cracked out,
    but why mine center slightly down to form a hole in the center???
    any tips to prevent it doc?

• It could be a number of things, you need to beat your eggs really well. Unitl you get stiff peaks. The second thing could be that you are adding the sugar too quickly. One tablespoon at a time and even that tablespoon is added slowly. It could also be that your oven cools cool very quickly when you turn it off, causing the meringue to shatter. Instead of turning it off, try turning it down in stages

30. What an amazing looking Pavlova! Sawsan I also love the new look of your blog! Can you tell that I have not been to visit? :) I have to go back and check out all the good things you’ve been making!

31. Your pavlova is beautifully done, especially the decoration. Maureen is a gem and I’m pleased to have found your blog through hers.

/  April 8, 2013

Love your new look! I’ve never had pavlova but every time I see one, I want to try it. This looks absolutely delicious!

33. The Pavlova looks stunning!!! Love to have some for dessert since I am done with my dinner :)

34. Boy, this brings back memories… it’s been years since I had a pavlova. Absolutely love the things, especially when the meringue is done to perfection so it’s all lovely and chewy in the middle. Gorgeous pav’ Sawsan. I haven’t had a lot of success with meringues before… you’re inspiring me to get practising again!

35. This looks so perfect– I’m impressed! I think meringues are kind of intimidating, but they look so fancy and taste so delicious, this post has gone a long way in convincing me it may be worth the effort… :)