Refrigerator oatmeal in a jar #Healthy breakfast idea 4

Chef in disguise:apple refrigerator oatmeal in a jar

A couple of weeks ago, I went to the ophthalmologist to check if I can have lasik surgery for my eyes to get rid of the lenses for good. It turned out that I had a problem with my retina that needed urgent correcting before I can do lasik surgery. So I did laser for my retina first then a week later I did the lasik for my eyes.

Those couple of weeks have been an emotional roller coaster. No matter how much research you do about the procedure and the doctor, you are still worried or at least I was. The idea that something might go wrong, no matter how slim the chance was  scary. Not being able to see the faces of my kids and  loved ones. All the beauty and magnificence that God has created for us in this world we live in. Not being able to read a friend’s emotion, thought or worry on their features.Not being able to take a picture or read a book. So many simple things that we do indeed take for granted.

Through days of appointments, eye drops and procedures I couldn’t stop thinking of Helen Keller’s “Three days to see”. If you have never read it, I strongly urge you to. Helen Keller was blind and she so eloquently discusses how most of us “seeing people” see so little. How after a day spent out , if asked “what did you see?”, most of us would answer, “nothing interesting!” While she experiences a world of beauty every day by merely touching things. It seems that we have turned our eyes into a mere convenience rather than as a means of adding fullness to life. When I first started taking pictures years ago, I came across a saying I loved that goes along the same lines as Helen’s article. “Photography should be taught in schools. Everyone needs to learn how to see not just look”

Sometimes it is a blessing in disguise to spend a few days in the dark to better appreciate the beauty that is light. To see the world with new eyes. Literally and metaphorically :)

strawberry oatmeal in a jar @chef in disguise

In these couple of weeks I was told to stay away from steam, vapor and anything that can cause water splattering so things have been rather quiet in the kitchen. Quick, easy meals that do not require cooking took center stage. Despite the fact that I have quite a few recipes photographed and ready for posting I thought I would ease back into things with going back to our healthy breakfast series. After posting carrot cake oatmeal, spinach squares and baked eggs , today we continue with one of my family’s favorite breakfasts. Refrigerator oatmeal or oatmeal in a jar is easy, can be made ahead of time, it is packed with nutrients and can be made in a variety of flavors. No steam, no heat, no cooking. Just 5 minutes the night before will ensure that you have a wonderful breakfast ready the next morning with no effort what so ever. One major advantage about oatmeal is that it keeps you full for hours due to its high fiber content. Add yogurt, flax seeds, honey and fruits and your day is off to a great healthy start.

What I love about refrigerator oatmeal or oatmeal in a jar is that it can be customised to the liking of individual members of the family. With two kids how never seem to agree on the flavor they want. Each jar serves one person and they can choose the flavors and fruits that go into their breakfast. I will be sharing apple oatmeal in a jar and strawberry oatmeal in a jar today and hopefully soon I will share the kids’ favorite recipe for chocolate oatmeal  and orange oatmeal in a jar.

One last note before I get to the recipe. My eyes are still a little blurry and I can’t spend a long time on the computer so please do excuse my delay in replying to your comments and emails. I will do my best to catch up on your blog posts soon.

apples

Apple refrigerator oatmeal in a jar

Makes one serving

1/3 cup old fashioned oatmeal

1/3 cup yogurt (plain or flavored)

1/3 cup milk (almond milk or coconut milk work fine)

2-3 teaspoons honey

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 an apple

1 teaspoon flax seeds

Refrigerator oatmeal in a jar instructions

Simply place all the ingredients in a jar

Stir to mix thoroughly or close the lid and give it a good shake

Store in the fridge over night

Strawberry refrigerator oatmeal in a jar

Makes one serving

1/3 cup old fashioned oatmeal

1/3 cup yogurt (plain or flavored)

1/3 cup milk (almond milk or coconut milk work fine)

2-3 teaspoons strawberry jam or honey

2 strawberries cut into cubes

1 teaspoon flax seeds

Refrigerator oatmeal in a jar instructions

Simply place all the ingredients in a jar

Stir to mix thoroughly or close the lid and give it a good shake

Store in the fridge over night

apple oatmeal @chef in disguise

The milk: Dairy milk full fat or skimmed, coconut milk and  almond milk all work fine here.Experiment and find your favorite

The sweetner: Honey, sugar, date puree or your favorite jam, be creative and try out different options. The amount is up to how sweet you prefer your oatmeal to be

The yogurt

The fruit: You can add the fruit only at serving but I prefer to add them with everything else to help infuse the oatmeal with fruit flavor.

The consistency: you can reduce the amount of milk to 1/4 cup if you happen to like your oatmeal thick

1. Karen Gross

/  September 21, 2013

Love the idea of making a few to hVe for breakfast or even for my hubby’s late night snacks, but I’ve never had cold oatmeal. Can these be warmed in the microwave?

2. Noelle Maldonado

/  September 9, 2013

Hello! I love this quick breakfast ideas! they are super easy and delicious!!! But I do have one question… how long could I store this in the fridge?

• Hello Noelle
      Really glad you are enjoying these :) I have stored it in the fridge for 3 days and it was still in great condition. Have not tried to store it for more than that though

3. Jamie

/  June 30, 2013

I love this idea especially b/c I love homemade oatmeal. The instant variety have way to much sugar and “other” ingredients. I have been doing mason jar meals and bring them to work and I love, but breakfast is my favorite neal : D Thank you for posting this.

4. I hope you are feeling better now Sawsan! And I love overnight/refrigerator oatmeal. It’s such a wonderful grab & go breakfast, or even one for the table! I make this for my husband almost everyday during the week since he has a long and early commute.

5. Hi there, I hope the surgery and treatment has gone well, I must get around to seeing about doing this for myself!
    And I’m loving this recipe – a great fix for an early morning start!

/  February 26, 2013

I hope at the time of this comment your vision is back to normal, better normal. I’m still planning on my lasik and can totally relate to your fears of losing vision, ability to see, take pictures and so on…
    I will definitely try your version of cold oatmeal. I make a bit different cold oatmeal – night before, pour boiling water onto dry oatmeal and then add some apples, nuts and honey to it in a morning. Although somehow, recipe that I remember liking many years ago, now is not satisfying enough.. Did it happen to anyone else? Anyway, your cold oatmeal recipe sounds like great replacement and I’ll make it ASAP :) Thank you for posting this healthy, handy and simple recipe!

7. This is one of my fav recipes. These quick breakfasts are something i do often for my little one. Never tried with strawberry though. Must give it a try. Looks so yum:)

Nina

8. You’ve done it again, Ms Sawsan, showing us how to eat healthy for breakfast. (I’m not sure you can hear me from where you are, but I’m applauding over here!) I love that your kids personalize their breakfasts! That’s a wonderful testament to the kind of mothering you offer! xx

9. I am pleased you are getting over your surgery. It is always scary… I am recovering from a hysterectomy at the moment!

I love making Oatmeal in the fridge the night before but it never occurred to me to make them in individual serving sizes for each child! That is such a good idea!
    I will definitely do this in the future.

• Sending you warm wishes for a speedy recovery..any surgery is a scary experience and the healing time is a battle of its own.
      I hope your healing period goes well and you recover quickly

10. The idea of lasik always scared me for the same reasons, as much as I’d like to be rid of these glasses for good!

I nominated you for the Liebster Award. You can see it here: http://treatstrinkets.blogspot.com/2013/02/valentines-day-menu-ideas-and-liebster.html

11. I can so identify with your fear of lasik.. am still battling with it.. “what if things go wrong”!!! Do take care Sawsan.. and get well soon!!! and i think i need to start maing refrigerator oatmeal breakfast more often.. especially in the summer.. and the best part is its so easy and done the nigth before.. so ideal for those crazy weekday mornings!!!

/  February 13, 2013

You are so right that we don’t appreciate what we have until we don’t have it. I can’t imagine losing my eyesight even for a few days. I did read Helen Keller. What an amazing person! I learned a lot from her on how to deal with and work around disabilities. The best thing is not treating them as disabilities. I hope your recovery is short and that, once you see your children’s faces without glasses, that you’ll know it was all worth it. Great thinking going with an old standby like this wonderful oatmeal! What a healthy and tasty breakfast!

13. I love oatmeal recipes and I make this refrigerater oatmeal in summer. Thanks for sharing!

14. Wishing you a speedy recovery, inshaAllah, Sawsan. Alham, all went well with your surgeries. Even with taking it easy, I see you have produced something delicious!

Nazneen xx

15. I love this idea, Sawsan! And I hope you feel better very soon.(My son found the aftermath of lasik very painful).

16. What a great idea! It looks so healthy and delicious.

17. The post was really touchy. Hope you get better soon and enjoy blogging!!!

18. I hope everything works out well for you! My wife has had retinal problems that required laser treatment several times over the years, and it’s anxiety producing. Things almost always work out well with these laser treatments, but one still worries. Anyway, lovely looking cookie! And quite healthy, as you point out. Good stuff – thanks.

19. Hope you continue to recover and is back in the swing of things real soon.
    This is such an easy and healthy recipe, love the fact that it can be individually customize.

20. i love oatmeal recipes! Again, i try to eat better and healthier, so i know what my breakfast for tomorrow will be8

Thx for sharing :D

Greetings from France

21. Though nor much of a breakfast person, Sawsan, I’m sure that these are just as delicious as any of the recipes you share. I really wish to say how thankful I am that your surgeries were a success and that soon you’ll be in tip-top shape. We might even start calling you Eagle Eye. :)
    I hope you recovery completes very soon and is complete, without any problems or further discomfort.

22. Patricia Boon

/  February 12, 2013

It was AWESOME! I will be making some more of these. (I made the apple one)

23. I hope your recovery continues to go well, Sawsan. I’ve wondered about getting Lasik myself but I’ve never gotten as far as the eloquent thoughts you put forward here. Thanks for sharing this recipe – I love oatmeal but I never have the time to cook it in the morning.

• Thank you Korena,so far things are going well but I still see a glow around any source of light and the vision in one eye is better than the other. I will let you know how it all works out in the end and if you have any questions about the lasik experience I would be happy to answer

/  February 12, 2013

A big hug from the Antipodes: take care . . . the days will pass :) !

25. Looks delish – and as usual fabulous pictures!

26. Sawsan, hope your eyes are OK. I can only imagine how scary the procedure must’ve been. A family member had the same surgery and hasn’t looked back (excuse the pun). She says it’s the best money she has ever spent.
    You oatmeal in a jar looks beautiful – love the single jar idea, and that each can be customized (I also have two boys with wildly different opinions on taste).
    Get well soon. xx

• Thank you Saskia,how was her vision in the first week after the operation. Some people say they see 20/20 the next day and others take some time to heal fully.
      I know what you mean about kids and their flavor choices! Sometimes I think they do it just for the fun of driving mum mad lol

• Hi Sawsan. From memory her eyes took a couple of weeks to be fully healed, but her vision is near perfect now. She is ecstatic. x

27. I’ve always thought it must be quite wondrous to have eye surgery and to be able to see without glasses after a lifetime of wearing them. But then my sister had it (and she was almost blind without glasses) and now she complains that she needs to put on glasses to read whereas they were always on her face before and there was no fiddling. I guess some people are never pleased. I hope it is a joyous change for you.

28. Sawson!!!! I hope all goes well with your eyes and that all will be back to normal soon. So happy you discovered the retina problem. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Only today did I learn about refrigerated oatmeal and here you come with a recipe! I am so happy! I try to eat oatmeal for breakfast most mornings and add Chia Seeds to it to increase my Omega 3 intake……….now I have a recipe. Thank you so very much for this and best to you!

29. What a lovely idea Sawsan! I am so glad your corrective surgery went well. The pictures are as usual gorgeous, and I am awed by your dedication. I hope your eyes feel better very soon and you are back to gaze at the wonderful world God has created in its full glory.

30. That’s it? No cooking involved?! Wow! This is a good one Sawsan. I LOVE oatmeal in any way, shape or form. The kids are also beginning to really like it, so this is perfect. Plus who wouldn’t want breakfast in a cute little jar! The kids would really enjoy this, as would I. I think I’ll test it out this week in fact! I have all the ingredients for the strawberry version on hand right now. :) I’m glad your surgeries went well. I can just imagine how nervous you were. I would be too. I tend to read way too much information when it comes to things like that. I also like how it made you appreciate what you now see. It’s a great way to look at things (no pun intended!). :)

31. It’s so true – we do take what we can see for granted. I do hope you have a speedy recovery from your procedure. What a good thing you went to get your eyes checked out or it may have been a very long time before you realised you had something urgent going on xx

32. That does look very healthy but refreshing in the morning :D

33. basmandahleh

/  February 11, 2013

Your posts fill me with emotions again and again.

May you always be blessed with a warm heart, passion for expression and all that that you do and your loved ones with whom to share.

On the oatmeal front — When I need a snack in the afternoon and have a strong desire to be ‘good’, I pour my black coffee over plain instant oatmeal. It hits the spot. Any other ideas?

34. Your posts as usual… fill me with emotions. May you always be blessed with your sensitive caring, passion and love and loved ones that share in kind.

On an oatmeal note: sometimes when I need a snack in the afternoon and don’t want to be ‘bad’, I combine my hot coffee with my instant oatmeal. Lately I have not been very good though :(

Can you think of other ways i can be creative with my instant oatmeal in the middle of the afternoon?

35. First, I hope all is well with your eyes, Sawsan and wish you a speedy recovery. What a lovely post and true words to live by. And this is such a terrific recipe! I had no idea you could make oatmeal this way and I am surely going to try it. :) Take good care.

36. Wishing you well and a speedy return to clear vision (very brave!). And thank you for a lovely recipe, I love oatmeal so really should get organised.

37. Give those pretty eyes some rest, Sawsan. I was fascinated by Helen Keller stories during childhood. We often take for granted the blessings Allah swt has given us.

Oatmeal is my go to breakfast almost everyday. I didn’t know oatmeal can be eaten without heating them.

38. There is a restaurant chain called Corner Bakery Cafe that sells a cold oatmeal they call Chilled Swiss Oatmeal. It’s the best preparation of oatmeal I’ve ever had: I’m so excited that now I know how to make it now! That carrot cake oatmeal, too…I’m anxious to try that one. Thank you so much for sharing.

39. Another great, healthy recipe from you. Thanks for posting such inspiring dishes.

40. This is a good idea, especially for those who are on the run in the morning. Easy to grab and go. It looks delicious and nutritious as well. I think I will try it. I have bookmarked the page. If you get a chance stop by my blog Recipe for Life at: http://deborah-bateman.blogspot.com and check out my family favorite recipes. You are sure to find some you like.
    Blessings,
    Deborah H. Bateman-Author

41. Wishing you a quick recovery. You are right we just look and not see. I have been teaching my son to look at the beauties that the world offers to us and not just glance at what he looks at. He is learning and with each passing day I notice that he is able to see the world with a positve eye.
    Best wishes,
    Giangi

42. wow what a great breakfast idea! I hope you feel better soon Sawsan! Our thoughts and prayers are with you :)

43. A big hug going your way… don’t worry about replying! Friends of mine did this procedure, and of course it is a bit scary. Phil’ brother had a serious problem with his eye, his retina collapsed and it turns out as a ton of trouble, very painful surgery recovery, and well… we do learn to appreciate being able to SEE.

hope you heal fully very soon!

44. Patricia Boon

/  February 11, 2013

I’m trying this recipe at the moment… I hope it turns out great!!! I will let you know tomorrow morning. Salamtec!

45. This lovely recipe sounds very similar to Bircher Muesli but instead of having the apple in chunks, it is grated into the yogurt oatmeal mix. We always add a few nuts and dried fruit as well. And you’re right, it is incredibly filling and the mix appeals to all of your senses! You’ve reminded me to make some soon.
    Hope your eyes come back to normal soon. Here in Toronto, I think they only do one eye at a time, leaving a bit of time in between. I have thought about doing it, but have never gotten around to it.

46. Wishing a very speedy and complete recovery … this breakfast idea is simplicity itself and yet so…. ingenious!

1. No bake vegan almond date bars | Chef in disguise