Grilled peach feta salad with lavender dressing

Have you ever tried to cook or bake with lavender?

I posted the question on my blog’s facebook page and got some amazing suggestions and links from my wonderful followers. Apparently lavender is a wonderfully versatile herb. Not only  does it make for a beautiful garnish but you can use it in drinks, (strawberry lavender lemonade is next on my list of things to try), desserts (think lavender flavored cookies, cakes, cheesecakes), flavor ice creams and sorbet and marinate chicken or meat.

The thing you have to remember about cooking with lavender is a little goes a long way. Lavender has a very strong taste and unless you want to turn your meal into a bottle of perfume don’t add too much of it. The rule here is to use 1/3 lavender dried flowers in the place of fresh and always start with a little amount and see how you like it then you can add more if you want

I decided to start my lavender experiments with today’s salad that I served with a wonderful herbed lavender chicken that I will be sharing soon.

Grilled peach feta salad with lavender dressing

3 cups romaine lettuce torn

1 red onion cut into rings

2-3 tablespoons of feta crumbled (I used my homemade feta that I made following John’s recipe)

2 peaches cut into segments

For the lavender dressing

Juice of half a lemon (4 tablespoons)

5 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 teaspoon sea salt

1 teaspoon mustard

1 teaspoon fresh lavender flowers

1 clove garlic minced

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

To make the dressing

In a bowl add the lemon juice, salt, mustard ,lavender, garlic and balsamic vinegar and whisk

Slowly drizzle the olive oil while you continue whisking until you have added the entire amount

I usually add the onion rings to the dressing while I prepare the salad, this takes the sharp edge off the onions

On the grill or in a pan on the stove top, lightly grill the peach segment

In your serving plate, arrange the torn lettuce, topped with the grilled peach segments

Take the onions out of the dressing and arrange on top of the lettuce

Crumble the feta cheese on top

Decorate with a few lavender twigs

Drizzle the dressing on the salad right before serving

You can add toasted almonds for an element of crunch

1. You make peaches look very very tasty my friend :D

2. I grow lavender and am always looking for new ways to use it, and blogging has certainly opened my eyes to the countless possibilities! The combination of flavours sounds so full of summer

3. That looks gorgeous! So colorful and well-balanced.

4. How refreshing on a hot day like this!

5. Oh Sawsan, this is SUCH an exoctic salad…. grilled peach… lavender… WOW! :) looks fantastic by the way!

6. It´s peach time here and I have been wanting to make John´s Feta for a while now…so as soon as I have picked some lavender, it´s time to cook up this stunning recipe!

7. That first pic is beautifully fresh Sawsan!! this salad has so many firsts for many.. i’ve never grilled peaches and i’ve never had lavender in anything.. always wanted to try it.. just never got my hand on any…i once saw a chocolate ganache tart with lavender cream..since then have been quite fascinated… am waiting for your chicken with lavender post.. really intrigued by that one!!! :)

8. That salad is perfect for the summer.
    There was a baby deer in my backyard this morning, tried to take a photo for you but it never stood still for me to get a shot.

9. I love this! As a matter of fact, yesterday a friend of mine in Virginia was just telling me about a lavender workshop she had just attended where they talked about cooking with lavender. I’m going to share your link with her…and I’m going to make this salad when I pick up more peaches tomorrow. Thanks for sharing, Sawsan!

10. loved the lavender dressing; fun recipe

11. Gorgeous, Sawsan, and you just gave me my salad for a brunch I am hosting on Sunday! Simple, beautiful and delicious. I had planned on making Kelly’s (Inspired Edibles) Lavender scones and I think this salad would be exceptional with it. I’ll take heed of your note about the perfumey nature of the herb…
    I’ll make a few alterations for my guests, adding crispy fried prosciutto, goats cheese instead of feta and I’ll need to omit the onions as I have onion-hating guests!
    This IS the reason I love to blog and read blogs. Thanks again, have a fantastic weekend.

12. What a beautiful salad! The combination of ingredients is right up my alley. I have not tried cooking with lavender but I should and it’s seems so fancy and I’m sure you would eat anything with lavender in it with your pinky up :) Have a great weekend!

13. flavorsofthesun

/  June 22, 2012

What an original salad. I love the flavors in this and am especially intrigued by the lavender dressing. I love to cook with lavender, but have never used it in a salad.
    Thanks so much.

14. Your salad looks beautiful, Sawsan. I bought peaches last week but they didn’t have much flavor. Next month we should have good sweet ones.

15. I’ve actually never cooked/baked with lavender but have heard wonderful things about it as well. This salad is gorgeous and sounds so delicious Sawsan!

16. What a gorgeous salad!

17. Your recipes, Sawsan, are always top-notch but your photography makes everything so much more appealing — and that’s no small feat considering how good the recipes are. I sure hope there are some peaches in the market tomorrow or I’ll go searching for some. I hope to enjoy this salad on Sunday.
    Thank you, Sawsan, for the shout-out. You really have become quite adept at cheese making and I’m glad you’re enjoying the feta recipe. :)

• John I am truly humbled and at a loss of words, thank you is such an understatement
      I am eternally grateful to you for all the inspiration your posts and blog are. I learn so much each time I am there and I look forward to your every post :)
      Looking forward to hearing what you think of this salad when you have a chance to try it

18. I’m trying to grow my own lavender from seed but not having much luck at getting the seeds to germinate. Then when they … I mean it (one seed out of 16 tried) finally germinates, I overwater and kill the poor thing. But someday, I may use my own lavender in cooking something tasty like this dish.

• Oh I did that with basil! I just seem to have no luck with it so I go and buy small plants from the nursary. I am seriously considering getting a lavender one now :)

19. I’ve actually never cooked with lavender – for me, it’s always something to stuff bags with to make clothes smell nice in the cupboard, haha, but I have eaten it before and the flavour is delicious. I love the look of the salad Sawsan – what a different, exciting flavour it must have!

• Hehehehe that was my mother’s reaction when I told her I was cooking with it lol
      I found it a very refreshing change from the usual flavors and look forward to trying out some more recipes :)

20. Wow, that was fast! This looks so delicious and summery :) Looking forward to seeing the lavender chicken recipe as well.

• Hello Korena, we are actually going on a road trip tomorrow and I am posting the easy quick recipes because I am a little tight on time
      The chicken recipe is coming tomorrow :)

21. This salad is perfection Sawsan! Look at those grilled peaches! And I can just imagine how good it smelled and tasted. Looking forward to your chicken recipe now too. :)

• Thank you so much Kristy :) it smelled and tasted heavenly but the smell that took over the house was the smell of the chicken cooking, I will be sharing that recipe tomorrow

22. We have a HUGE lavendar bush, but I’m so scared that if I add it to food it’s going to be completely overwhelming… thanks for experimenting for me. :)

• You are so lucky!
      Try out a few recipes that don’t have too much lavender and get a feel of the taste and the amount you and your family find appropriate then you can add more or try others when lavender is the main prominant flavor

/  June 23, 2012

What a ‘happy’ looking salad one just has to try :) ! Love lavender but have to admit not having cooked with it: possibly a new love affair!

24. I commented before, but may have been put into spam. This looks so wonderful and I’m trying it tonight. A friend of mine in Virginia just went to a lavender workshop, and they used lavender in cooking, then I saw your post and knew I had to try this. It sounds so lovely. Thank you for sharing Sawsan.

25. What a beautiful recipe, I would never have thought of using lavender in a dressing. My lavender in the garden is just about ready for harvesting too!

26. What a beautiful pairing. Lovely recipe and photos.

27. What a simple and delicious salad! Love the grilled peaches, something I’ve never done. But then when I find a good peach it usually doesn’t make it into the fridge before I have it eaten! Love the addition of lavender to your dressing. Definitely will be trying this once the peaches hit the market here!

28. Nami | Just One Cookbook

/  June 24, 2012

I just went to peach picking today (now it’s yesterday), and I have such juicy peaches in a box! I’ve never grilled peaches but now you showed me how, I’m going to make this salad for Sunday lunch! I do not have lavender around though. Maybe that’s next time. For now I can’t try peach and feta combo in salad! Thanks Sawsan for the inspiration!

29. I so love this salad! I think I will start using our lavender plant from now on

30. mmm mouth wathering!!!! I love peaches!!!

31. What a bright and flavorful array of ingredients. Grilling the peaches really brings out such a fabulous smokey but sweet flavor in them. Great idea! Feta too?! Too wonderful.

32. Your food pictures are very nice, I follow your blog with pleasure, good luck

1. Lavender chicken « Chef in disguise