Orange jam

Winter is coming to an end and the breeze is carrying whispers of spring. The first few months of the year were always the citrus recipe season in my childhood. All through January, Feb and March mum would make candied orange peel, candied clementine balls and jars upon jars of this orange  jam  I am sharing with you today. Through the following months of the year we would get to enjoy this jam with toast in the morning, mum would also use it to make bar cookies and it was her secret ingredient she added to smoothies. It added sweetness and a blast of flavor to anything it is put into.

The recipe is really simple yet the end result is enough to make you swear never to buy orange jam again.

Orange Jam

1 kg orange segments

750 grams to 1 kg  (4-5 cups ) sugar

1 cup orange juice

Juice of 1 lemon

1 cup of thinly slices orange peel (optional)

Instructions

If you want to add the peel to the jam peel the oranges as thinly as possible, try to get the colored part only.

Remove the white part of the peel, discard.

Cut the oranges into 1 cm segments, add the sugar and let it stand for a couple of hours (this will draw out the juices of the orange segments)

Remove the seeds(they will float on top of the juice)

In a pot, add the orange segments, sugar, lemon juice and orange juice.

Bring to a boil over medium low heat stirring occasionally.

When the mixture comes to a boil reduce the heat to low and stir every few minutes to make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot.

Spoon cam

Simmer over low heat until the mixture is reduced to 1/3 the original amount and the consistency is thick (this should take an hour to an hour and a half)

If you plan on adding the orange peel, after the mixture has reduced to 1/2 its original size (40-50 minutes into cooking) add the peel.

Allow the mixture to cool completely away from any sources of moisture.  I cover the pot with a clean cloth while cooling, don’t use the lid of the pot, if you do the hot steam might condense into water drops and if water gets into the jam it goes bad.

Once the mixture has cooled, fill it into jars.

You can double or half the recipe, the key is using equal amounts of orange and sugar.

Adding the orange peel will enhance the flavor of the jam and it will also act as a natural thickening agent.

Cook the jam to the point of having the consistency of a thick cake batter, remember it will thicken even more as it cools down.

The amount of sugar depends on the way you want to store the jam, if you want to keep it in the fridge use 750 grams of sugar. If you want to keep it outside the fridge use 1 kg sugar. I prefer using less sugar because that allows the fruit flavor to shine

1. Lovely! I’ve never made jam, in part because I don’t eat it, but my husband loves all kinds of jams and preserves. I’ve got a ton of oranges at home, and might take a deep breath and make a batch on Sunday using your recipe

(now, if only I could get a picture half as gorgeous!)
    ;-)

have a great weekend, thanks again for inspiring me!

• Thank you for the sweet comment Sally. Belive me making jam is much easier than you think. You just have to be brave and do it once, after tasting your home made jam you will never look back.
      Wishing you a wonderful week

2. Gorgeous looking jam … or would it be called marmalade as it’s made with citrus?

3. Your orange jam looks good, Sawsan. Did your mother make pineapple jam, by any chance. I’ve never had any — just heard about it this year, made with fresh pineapple, cooked down.

4. Lovely!

5. This looks like the perfect marmalade as far as I’m concerned. I love it when it is full of orange rind. A croissant just isn’t the same unless I can have orange marmalade smeared on it.

6. Really delicious recipe! I love homemade jam so much… I think I will try this one soon… with less sugar of course, and LOTS of peel :) Thanks for this recipe!

7. This looks delicious! Love jam-mixing it up with orange will have to be done SOON! :)

8. Orange jam is my favorite! I made some marmalade last spring and we just ate the last of it, now I will make your jam!

9. Nami | Just One Cookbook

/  March 17, 2012

I would love to make this jam! I need to go to costco to get a big box of oranges! I literally drool over last picture of orange jam! Seriously! LOVE THIS Sawsan!!!

10. Hi Sawsan thank u for the recipe, I well try to make it soon, I love orange and any thing made with it, I store the peels in any possible way (freezed, dried as a powder, candied peel) I think I will made the jam and use it with mabroseh (I used to add orange zest to it) thank u again

11. jolka :)

/  March 17, 2012

dziękuję :) pozdrawiam serdecznie !

12. Fabulous and a different method from making marmalade, I will definitely be giving this a go! Love all these orange recipes :)

13. Mmmm…. orange jam… I don’t think I’ve tried it before… Looks fantastic!

14. Looks like a perfect recipe……….am going to try this!

15. I’ve never made jam before, but it looks like something I am missing out on! I typically don’t like jams or jellies, but I think that’s because they’re so “fake” seeming to me. I bet if I made my own I’d love it!

• I totally agree, you probably don’t like it because you only had the horrible stuff they sell at stores. I highly recommend you trying to make your own jam. Start with a small amount using your favorite fruit and I think you will love it

16. This recipe is rather like marmalade, and it’s my favourite, Sawsan. We don’t go through that much jam, do you think I could freeze it? I would love to make my own. Have you ever tried it with grapefruit and lemon with the orange? I’m going to try this recipe when oranges are less expensive.

• As far as I know marmalades are made from a specific type of oranges “seville”. That is why I used the term jam.
      To answer your question, yes you can freeze it for sure. I do that all the time as we too don’t go through that much jam and I think it preserves the flavor better.
      I honestly have not tried it with lemon or grapefruit but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work

17. I would love to try this! I have never canned (shhh) but do you think I could just use clean jars and freeze this jam instead??

18. just sublimely delicious!

19. Simple and beautiful!

20. Hi Sawsan, your jam looks really good – I love making orange jams and marmalades at home – they’re so satisfying to do. I like a dark, rich jam myself so I often boil it for a bit longer to darken the colour a lot. It’s perfect with butter on toast! Thanks for sharing your recipe – I’ll try it instead of my usual one next time I’m making a batch!

/  March 18, 2012

I’m going to have to find some oranges on sale so i can make this jam. We love jam and now-a-days I make one pint at a time. I use to go the canning route, but I’ve gotten really lazy in my old age. :) This jam looks like a delicious orange marmalade and I want some!

22. Deeps @ Naughty Curry

/  March 18, 2012

mmm, yum i love jams with pieces of the fruit vs puree… looks divine

23. Argh, this is the 3rd time I’ve lost my comment. It says, this email address is registered and you have to log in and then it erases my comment. This must be a new thing? You can’t log in once… you have to log in with every comment. Pain in the neck.

Anyway.. I LOVE spoon cam. I might have to borrow that phrase one day soon.

Your jam looks delicious!

24. Oh I can just taste this over some warm toast. Mmmm! My grandma used to make peach jam, but I think I would prefer the orange (no offense to my grandma! ;) ). It looks so delicious and wonderfully springy!

25. What a wonderful jam recipe – looks simply gorgeous :D
    I love orange flavour!

Latest: Lemon Polenta Raisin Cookies + Tropical Mini Yoghurt Berry Bundts

26. this looks incredible! WOW!

27. Gorgeous and absolutely perfect for spring!

28. I know how to make strawberry jam, but I never thought about orange jam before. This would be perfect on some biscuits.. love this

29. Marmalade jam is my all-time favorite. I can’t wait to try this recipe!

30. Hello Sawsan,
    your photos are so expresiive that I had to make this jam! I made double portion, because in the land of the aples (they grow everywhere) oranges are cheaper than apples nowdays. My jam is delicious, but it’s slightly bitter – is is supposed to be like that ?(I used only 1 kg sugar for 2 kg orange segments because I don’t like things that are too sweet). Anyway, we love this jam, it’s a keeper so thank you for the receipe!

• Hello Liana,
      Thank you for your kind comment. I am glad you liked the jam.
      About the bitterness, it is not supposed to be bitter at all. The reason might be the low sugar or maybe there was a little of the white peel left on the orange segments or on the peel you added to the jam. The white part of the peel is very bitter and a little of it can cause the jam to be bitter.
      Thanks again for trying one of my recipes and for leaving me a comment

/  June 9, 2012

Been looking for an orange Jam (without the peel) recipe to use to sandwich chocolate cakes! (YUM) Marmalade tends to be made with whole fruit, cooking the peel longer (up to 2hrs) to soften it and putting the pith and pips in a muslin bag, This looks a lot quicker and less bitter. Thank you

32. Excellent jam – other than normal use I use it for adding flavouring to my crumbles and a small amount mixed into my toppings for cupcakes…lovely with chocolate topping..

33. Dear Sawswan
    How long can the Orange Jam be stored outside or in fridge?

34. hi Sawsan, I tried it last night but messed it up :(. The jam got crytalised . I forgot the orange juice though. Plz tell me what went wrong.

• Hello Ruby,
      do you mean you just cooked the orange segments without adding the orange juice?
      If that is the case, and the orange segments are only crystalised and not burnt you can still fix it. Add one and a half cups of orange juice to the crystalised oranges and cook while stirring over low medium heat till the crystals dissolve and then cook it till it reaches the consistency you like. Always remember that you need to take the jam off the heat when it is slightly thinner than what you want it to be because it will thicken as it cools.
      Please let me know how things work out

35. zara

/  December 12, 2012

What kind of sugar do you use?? I have a batch of oranges without the rind (as I’ve used the rind on another recipe!) and I’ve been scouring the internet for a recipe that doesn’t need the rind, so I was very happy to find this! I’m planning to put edible glitter in it at the last minute and give them as festive gifts : ) Thanks!

• Sorry for the delay in replying Zara.
      I use regular sugar for this jam. I am really happy that you found what you were looking for on my blog. Love the idea of adding tbe sugar.
      Please do let me know how the jam turns out

36. I always put the jam in the jars hot so that the lids will seal and it will keep outside the fridge; is it alright to do that with this recipe instead of letting it cool before packing in jars??

37. I love making homemade jellies and jam. I’ve made grape, pear, plum, and watermelon. Just got a box of Oranges for Christmas and had no idea what I was going to do with all of it until I came across your post. Can’t wait to try it!

38. Muy rica..La mermelada de naranja es mi favorita besos

39. I am planning to make it without rind.Do i add fruit pectin to it?

40. It is such a lovely jam, we made with my friends to the kids who are fighting cancer. Thank you for your input :) teaching us how to do the jam

1. Orange bar cookies « Chef in disguise