Summer is not officially here yet but the temperature in Ras Al Khaima has crossed the 40 C mark weeks ago! Add the pleasant humidity and you can understand why refreshing drinks are a top priority in this house.
Fresh fruit juice and laban ayran are always available but to keep things from becoming boring, I am always on the look out for fun smoothies, mocktails and frappe recipes.
When it was time to choose my recipe from my assigned blog for the secret recipe club (Kitchen Trial and error) I book marked her chai biscotti and her black bean stuffed avocados but I ended up making her strawberry mojito because the weather forecast promises temperatures around 50 this weekend and a refreshing drink recipe was hard to resist. Kate,the talented lady behind the blog,works in environmental design & product stewardship and she has two adorable kids. I really enjoyed going through her archives.
The strawberries lend their beautiful rosy color to the mojito, and they add a wonderful fruity sweetness. The double dose of mint makes these strawberry mojitos extra refreshing. The kids loved them
- For the syrup
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup water
1 cup mint
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 fresh strawberries
4-5 fresh mint springs
- in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, lemon juice and water. bring to a boil and boil until the mixture is clear.
- Remove from heat, add the mint and allow it to cool.
- Strain the syrup, discard the mint
- In a tall glass or your favorite cup, add 3 tablespoons of the mint syrup, the strawberries, and the mint and muddle together with the back of a spoon or a muddler.
- Squeeze the juice from the lime into the glass, and stir well.
- Fill the glass with ice and top off with club soda.