Five seeds sourdough Irish soda bread

5 seeds soda bread

It has been a while since I took part in Sourdough Surprises . To re-phrase, it’s been a while since I posted the results of my sourdough surprises challenges. Each month, I make the recipe, love it, take pictures but I never get around to publishing the results :( Well not any more!

For this month, we were challenged to use our sourdough starters to make Irish soda bread. Soda bread has been on my list of recipes to try forever, I mean what’s not to love about a giant scone? but some how I never got around to trying it. Enter this month’s challenge: A giant scone with our Harry’s magical touch , I had to try!

Irish soda bread is a quick bread that uses baking soda instead of yeast to get its rise. Which means that you can get all the joys of home-baked bread in about an hour. No fussing with yeast, no waiting for rises.The bread has a beautiful golden crust and a dense yet tender interior. The seeds add a wonderful complexity without being over whelming. The honey adds the mildest hint of sweetness yet, it does not prevent the bread from working beautifully with savory or sweet toppings. Right out of the oven, it is heavenly slathered with butter, yet a few days later, the bread is downright irresistible when sliced and toasted.

seeded soda bread

I know the words quick and sourdough don’t fit into the same sentence but in this case the sourdough is added for flavor only which makes it a great way to use discard or unfed sourdough starter

Sourdough soda bread

• 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup sourdough starter, fed or unfed
  • 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) melted butter
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 3/4 cup milk

Preheat the oven to 400°F.

line your baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, seeds, baking soda, and salt.

In another bowl  whisk together the starter, butter, honey, and milk.

Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients and stir to combine.

The dough will be stiff. If it’s too crumbly to squeeze together, add another tablespoon or two of milk.

Knead the dough a couple of times, we’re only doing this to make sure the dough  holds together

Divide the dough in halfin half, and shape each half into a ball.

Flatten the balls slightly, and place them on the prepared baking sheet.

Use a sharp knife to cut a deep cross, extending all the way to the edges, atop each loaf.

irish soda bread before

Bake the loaves for 30 to 40 minutes, until they’re golden brown and a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Remove the loaves from the oven and cool on a wire rake

soda bread

The 5 seeds I used happen to be my favorite combination of seeds to add to bread but feel free to change them or omit them all together

1. I’ve made regular whole wheat and oat soda bread but never with such an interesting assortment of seeds. Maybe next time. :)

2. Lovely! I wanted to make a seeded soda bread but was outvoted by the rest of my house. Yours turned out so lovely! (And you are always welcome to post/link up late! We aren’t sticklers for rules, haha).

3. Russell

/  March 20, 2014

Wow they really opened up nicely!

4. Gorgeous!! I love all of the seeds too- yum!

5. Looks delicious, I love the all of the seeds used, seems very healthy and of course I never have patience to wait for the dough to rise, so this seems like a easy bread recipe that I may actually try. Thanks!

6. Love the seeds! Welcome back!

7. Rasha

/  March 21, 2014

This Looks sooo good!
    The shape reminded me of molars :D

8. Your bread looks beautiful! I love how those cuts made it open up like a flower.

9. Sawsan, they look just perfect!

10. I love soda bread however I make it without a starter. Need to look into that now!! I have a recipe on my blog for a fruited one with seeds that you might like. It’s

11. It’s been ages since I made soda bread – it is lvoely isn’t it? And what a great idea to use the sourdough starter and to add some flavours – gorgeous loaf you have made there Sawsan!

12. I really like the seed combination you chose. My favorites too. I still haven’t gotten sourdough under control or even on the radar. I swear I’m going to do it this year. :)

13. turnips 2 tangerines

/  March 21, 2014

Great looking Soda Bread!! Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

14. They looks gorgeous! I normally don’t like seeds on bread but I’d love to give this one a try :) By the way, my cinnamon flower bread from your challenge last month got into Tastespotting and is my most popular post so far, thank you!

15. I wonder if my kefir would work the same way the sourdough starter did. It has a similar sour flavor. Hmmm. If so, this sounds like my kind of bread baking experiment. I love that there’s no yeast and I’ve always wanted to make a sod bread. Can’t wait to give it a try!

16. Your loaves look SO tempting… and then I think about a chunk “slathered with butter…” Instant hunger pangs! :>)