Chocolate sourdough brownies

Sourdough double chocolate brownies

Sourdough double chocolate brownies

When you have a sourdough starter that is bubbly and alive, there is a world of options on ways to use it. This is my first month participating in Sourdough surprises. A group dedicated to helping you enjoy your sourdough adventure. Every month there is a theme and you get to use your sourdough starter to make a recipe with that theme.

This month it was sourdough brownies. I have made brownies before, regular ones, double chocolate ones and secret ingredient ones but these sourdough brownies are the best ones I have ever made hands down. They are rich,melt in your mouth, intensely chocolatey and not too sweet.You don’t get the classic sourdough tang here but instead, the sourdough cuts down the sweetness and adds a certain richness to the brownies that is unique and irresistable.These chocolate sourdough brownies were a huge hit with the kids and great to pack in the lunch box or have as an after school treat with a cup of milk

Sourdough brownies @ chef in disguise

Chocolate Sourdough Brownies

(recipe source Wild Yeast)

300 g chocolate, chopped (you can use bittersweet or milk chocolate)
226 grams unsalted  butter, cut into pieces
200 grams sugar
6 grams (1 tsp) salt
8.4 grams (2 tsp) vanilla extract
3 whole eggs, room temperature
40 grams cocoa powder
220 grams mature 100% hydration sourdough starter

Preheat oven to 325 F
Line a metal 9×13 pan with parchment paper and grease it. ( it makes it easier  to lift the brownies out of the pan if you leave some extra parchment at the 13 inch sides).
In a double broiler, saucepan, or the microwave, melt the chocolate and butter. Stir it often so it does not burn.
Pour the melted chocolate/butter into a large bowl.
Whisk in the sugar, salt and vanilla.
Add the eggs one at a time, whisking to combine each addition.
Sift the cocoa powder over the chocolate and stir to combine.
Add the starter and stir gently until it is completely incorporated.
Turn the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Cool in the pan 20 minutes then lift the parchment paper out
and allow to cool the rest of the way on a wire rack.
When cool completely, cut into squares and enjoy!

Chocolate brownies

Notes and FAQ:

I usually use the butter wrappers to grease the parchment and the baking pan, it works great.

I will be making these again and trying out new additions, peppermint extract, spices: cinnamon and cardamom, nuts.

I usually feed my starter, wait for it to double and just when it starts to collapse. That is when I use it to bake with. If I plan on baking in the morning I feed the starter right before I do to bed. It is perfect the next morning

Sourdough brownies@ chef in disguise

You may also like

Chocolate brownies with two secret ingredient

Healthy chocolate brownies

1. heatherb

/  October 12, 2013

This looks great but I don’t have a scale… any way you could provide a version with measurements with cups, etc?

2. Sawsan, this recipe has inspired me and I my wife to attempt sourdough this summer. This week we’re going to use your starter recipe — I’m dying to try these brownies. Thank you for the wonderful sounding recipe!

• Please let me know how they turn out. Both the sourdough starter and the brownies. If you like donuts, I have a sourdough donut coming up that is amazing too!

• Well, our attempt in May never happened, but we’re trying tonight, and I will share. I’d forgotten about your donuts and now I’m wondering if I can convince her we need two sweet treats! ;)

• Victory, oh sweet victory! Sawsan, you’re brilliant! Made the brownies last night and had nibbles this morning for breakfast — wow! I’ve just crowed about you on my Facebook so I hope friends pop by to ‘visit’. Amazing stuff — thanks for sharing this unique recipe!

• Yay! I am so happy!
        Really glad you enjoyed them and thank you so much for the shout out on Facebook . I deeply appreciate it

3. Oh my goodness! Looks delish sister! Thanks for sharing!

4. They look fantastic, Sawsan! So glad you’re baking with the group :) :) :)

5. What a clever idea to use the sour dough starter to make brownies. They look lovely and moist.

6. Gosh Sawsan – what a cool idea. I never would have considered using a sourdough starter as a base for brownies in a million years. Definitely something I can put my sourdough starter to when I finally get around to making one one day! They look so nice… squishy and gooey and yummy :)

7. Sawsan, I was wondering about the “tangy” taste before I read your post, but you explained it well and I couldn’t be happier. My hubby doesn’t like overly sweet baked goods and I love chocolate in any way, shape or form — your brownies fit the bill! Now to re-read your sourdough starter post… :)

8. Rana Ezzain

/  May 23, 2013

Hi sawsan .thank you for your lovely and delicious posts , i want to know if i can use fresh yeast instead of sour dough .

• Hello Rana.
      Thank you for the kind comment. The conversion is not a very easy one. You see a sour dough starter is not just yeast. It is also four, water and acid
      In theory you divide the amount of the starter in half and add that much flour and water to replace the starter. So for this recipe it is 110 grams of flour and 110 grams water.
      Each cup of starter has about the same rise power as a package of yeast (2.5 teaspoons dry active yeast) so you need to add that much yeast to replace the starter.
      Do keep in mind that the acidity of the starter changes the atmposhere in the recipe and you may not get the same resut even if you do all the replacements I have stated.
      I am really sorry for the complicated answer but I have not tried replacing the sourdough starter in this recipe with yeast so I can’t guarantee it will work. I am just trying to give you as much info as possible

9. Sourdough brownies! I have to try them, I trust your cooking and taste, I’m sure these brownies tastes as good as they look :)

10. Okay, this is genius!!! What a great combination! Once I make the starter, this is definitely a recipe I will try! :-)

11. Great idea! Never thought of sourdough in brownies – I’ll bet the flavor is great. They certainly look terrific!

12. Like you I began with Sourdough Surprises this month and loved the brownie challenge, Your brownies look fudgy and delicious and I’m eager to see what cardamom adds to the flavor.

13. Scrumptious. Really drooling.

14. Elizabeth @ SugarHero.com

/  May 21, 2013

Wow, this sounds crazy good. I’ve never even thought of using sourdough starter for anything but bread and now that I’ve seen this recipe, I’m slapping my forehead and wondering what took so long. Delicious!

15. This post is a revelation, Sawsan. I’ve never seen sourdough used to make brownies. These do sound delicious, though. I have to get my starter started! Thanks for the lesson!

16. Yay, I’m glad you joined in this month Sawsan! I agree, these are some seriously good brownies, and yours look wonderful :)

17. My grandkids, (and we big kids), love brownies,Sawsan.I will have to try these…definitely!
    Sorry that I have been off-line, blog-wise for the most part for a long time.I hope I can catch up with you and so many others. I always enjoy your posts!

18. turnips 2 tangerines

/  May 21, 2013

Looks very delicious! Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

19. i need to get that starter really going – your brownies are calling me

20. These look like fudge! Just good old brownies, without any additions — except the starter, of course! — and they look perfect! After using sourdough in brownies, I can’t go back to the ‘normal’ kind anymore.

21. Thanks for teaching me the versatility of sour dough, these brownies look super fabulous :)

22. Your brownies look wonderful! Glad you could join us baking and sharing sourdough recipes!

23. Your brownies look wonderful! Glad you joined us, baking and sharing sourdough recipes!

24. I can’t even tell you how excited I am to see you posting with Sourdough Surprises! Your brownies look so amazing – I bet the kids were in chocolate heaven!!

25. Glad you joined in this month! I see that you added spinach and carrots to brownies!! Wow. I should try that. More reasons to eat brownies daily.

26. Amazing brownies, Sawsan!! :) I am so thrilled you joined us this month and that you are loving your sourdough journey! There are so many awesome things you can bake with it! Your brownies look perfectly fudgy and moist and very delicious!

27. Sawsan, they look incredibly inviting! :)

28. The brownies do look amazing!!!!

29. Drool! I really must get on this Sourdough bandwagon. So many opportunities to explore…

30. I have never heard of sourdough brownies before. I’m not a chocolate eater as you know, but they do sound good. I had a sourdough starter for a while, but time just got away from me and the starter was terribly neglected. Perhaps one day I’ll get one going again. :)

31. I have kefir grains, i wonder if i could make this recipe using those instead of the sourdough, I may give it a try and see.. thank you, great recipe.. c

32. And off she goes! Taking sourdough to new limits! Ha! I knew you would have a blast with it, and it’s great to see you are a new member of Soudrough Surprises… I wish I could join, but to be absolutelly honest, it’s been hard to just keep my blog going with maybe 2 posts per week…

but I will live vicariously through YOU!

• Join anyway!! There is no pressure, you don’t have to commit to any number of posts – just join us when a recipe talks to you and, even if you don’t post, just send us a picture and we’ll put it our site! You’d be a delicious addition! :)

33. I never even thought of this…. brilliant idea! I’ll be giving these a go! Thank you!!

34. Very intersting recipe..havent tried anything like this before. I have been following your sourdough adventure…would have love to be a part of it but my life is a little crazy right now especially with a recent job change

35. The first time I’d ever heard of sourdough brownies was when you posted your starter recipe. I’ll have to try these since I have an active starter.

36. I’m so happy you’re sourdoughing too, Sawsan! :) Your brownies look fudgy and gorgeous, especially sprinkled the cocoa powder, like rich truffles. Yum!

37. S Susan

/  May 20, 2013

Dear Sawsan! I found your blog like two weeks from now and I decided to start from the beginning, I am at March 2012… I have tried your 15 min dinner roll and it was very good, my kids liked them a lot. Also did the chicken tawok (spelld it wrong I think..) I so enjoy reading blogs from Jordan, every other day I like to move to Amman!! (I live in Sweden) Thank you for your blog!/S Susan

38. They sure do look moist and delicious. I’ll be making your starter next week, but I’m going to concentrate on breads, even though I’m finding this recipe so compelling.

39. What gorgeous looking brownies. I had no idea you could make brownies from sourdough starter! What a great idea. They look so moist xx

40. G’day! They DO look amazing, TRUE!
    Love the staging of your photos…makes them warm and welcoming…I would like one now please too! :)
    Cheers! Joanne
    What’s On The List

41. Melissa

/  May 20, 2013

Must try! I have a started that needs to be fed in the next few days. Do you use the discard or do you feed it and use a portion of the freshly fed starter?

• Hello Melissa, I usually feed the starter, wait for it to double then use it when it is starting to collapse ever so slightly

• Melissa

/  May 20, 2013

Thank you so much! I think I know what’s baking tomorrow! I love new recipes to use the discard. I feel like I am committing a crime by throwing it down the sink.

• I know what you mean Melissa! I will be sharing recipes to use the discard soon. Pancakes and waffles and cakes, stay tuned :) and please let me know how the brownies turn out

42. These look seriously amazing Sawsan. Have never heard of using sourdough starter in brownies. I’m thinking it would add a great chewiness to the texture too? Your kids are very lucky! Looking forward to hearing about your cinnamon and cardamom version too.

• You really need to give these a try Saskia, they are amazing. I wouldn’t say they are exactly chewy but the texture is deffinetly different due to the sourdough. They are really fudgy.

1. Sourdough pizza crust | Chef in disguise