Healthy breakfast idea #1 carrot cake oatmeal

carrot cake oatmeal

Lack of time is the one thing most us blame for skipping breakfast in the morning. Between trying to catch those precious few hours of sleep, getting dressed and ready, getting the kids ready for school, there’s just not enough time to make breakfast. “I’ll get a cup of coffee on the go “, you tell yourself as you dash out the door promising yourself you will do better tomorrow but that tomorrow never comes.

Well it doesn’t have to be this way.

carrot raw

I thought it would be a good idea to start the year by launching a series of healthy breakfast ideas. I will be sharing a number of oatmeal recipes (carrot cake oatmeal, chocolate oatmeal, apple cinnamon oatmeal…and more), smoothies, some new twists on homemade granola (chocolate granola, honey almond granola, spicy seed granola..), sandwiches, wraps, a couple of easy cheese recipes to use as dips and spreads and some low carb breakfast ideas. The focus will be on easy to prepare, quick and healthy.  I would love to hear from you, what would you like to see on this series? any requests?

walnuts close

If you enjoy the flavors of carrot cake, the sweetness of the carrots and raisins, the depth of flavor from the spices, the crunch of the walnuts. This oatmeal is for you. It hits all those buttons only with a fraction of the calories.I would say it tastes like carrot cake batter but then again I don’t want to admit that I taste raw cake batter ;)  Lets just say that having dessert for breakfast with a clear conscience is a win win situation in my book.

What I usually do is make double or triple this recipe on the weekend and simply reheat it in the morning. Add a splash of milk, cook for 3-5 minutes and it is as good as new without grating, measuring or mess.

double

Carrot cake oatmeal

1 cup old fashioned oatmeal

2 cups milk (coconut milk  would work too)

1 tablespoon honey (brown sugar or maple syrup)

1 1/4 cups shredded carrots (1 large carrot)

1/4 cup raisins

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon cardamom

To serve:

shredded carrots

chopped walnuts

raisins

Directions

In a pot add the  oats,milk, carrots, raisins, honey and spices

Cook over medium low heat, stirring occasionally until the mix thickens and starts to bubble.

Cook for 2 more minutes while stirring then take off the heat

Serve topped with shredded carrots, walnuts or raisins.

carrot2

Milk: You can make this with regular milk or with coconut milk. coconut milk adds a nutty flavor that I find pleasant.

Sweetner: you can use honey, sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup or you can leave out the sugar altogether and rely on the sweetness of the carrots and raisins. Another option would be to drizzle the sweetnes (honey or maple syrup) on top of the cooked oatmeal

Spices: Cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, ginger or a combination of them. Use your favorite combination of spices

Additions: raisins, crushed pineapples, grated apples, shredded coconut. You can use any or all of these to add flavor and texture to your oatmeal

Reheating: I usually make double or triple this recipe on the weekend and then reheat it in the morning. All you need to do is add 1/4 to 1/2 cup milk to the cold oatmeal and then cook the oatmeal for 3-5 minutes. This heats it through and restores the thickness to that of freshly cooked oatmeal . Breakfast is ready in 5 minutes or less.

1. maysa

/  August 2, 2013

THANK YOU ….
    after searching i was between Oats and date ranger cookies and Cranberry walnut bread but i found this accidentally ! and i decide to go healthy ….. it was my so7or tonight and
    its delicious :) my 2 years baby girl loved it too .
    ya3teek al3afyeh :-)

2. Your photos and recipes are amazing! I used your carrot cake oatmeal idea yesterday morning :)

3. This is just brilliant! Am ditching the bananas for carrots and raisins for next week’s breakfast…

4. This recipe intrigued me for 4 days – I had to make it (slightly scaled back due to being snowbound) and it was so very delicious. Fantastic idea!

5. I hate oatmeal and I hate breakfast, but I’m trying to eat more of both, and this recipe has me drooling! (And your photos, so gorgeous!) Thanks for coming up with this one — can’t wait to give it a try this weekend!

6. You’ve officially made my regular granola look boring! Which is quite alright with me because this just looks incredible. You are so creative! Who would have thought? Great flavors for a healthy snack.

/  January 7, 2013

I love carrot cake but the cream cheese frosting is always so rich and makes me feel guilty for eating it. With this oatmeal recipe I can now have my cake and eat it too! :) What a great idea for oatmeal!!! Thanks!

8. I am totally intrigued! Pinning!

9. What a lovely idea Sawsan! I don’t usually skip breakfast, but I must say that my oatmeal never looks this good! I can’t wait to see what else you will create. :)

10. Before I went grain-free I ate oatmeal and fruit every morning for breakfast. Any grain, sugar and nut free recipes would be appreciated. I know, it’s a tough one.

11. This is indeed a healthy alternative to anything I eat. You always create dishes and treats that are guilt-free and thank you for that. Wish you a very joyful and more successful New Year. :)

12. A tremendous idea – I love oatmeal so this is a great, colorful and nutritious new treat!

13. ever since i found out my cholesterol levels are high, i have been eating more oatmeal but mostly chocolate oatmeal…lol. but, tomorrow morning, i will try your recipe for breakfast ;)

• I can’t wait to hear what you think of it Abeer.
      Have you posted your recipe for chocolate oatmeal? I would love to try it.
      I love one with bananas and chocolate that I will be posting soon

14. Such an colorful dish to see first thing in the morning, Sawsan. Very appetizing. In fact, this post is really beautifully presented. I look forward to seeing more of your posts in this series.
    Happy New Year!

• Thank you kindly John. We really love carrots in this house so it was natural for it to make its way into the oatmeal lol
      Wishing you a wonderful new year full of laughter, joy and success
      Looking forward to more of your wonderful posts in 2013

15. What a super healthy to start to your day. I think I really like your idea of adding coconut milk to this dish as it would give it another dimension of flavor. Wishing you and your family a super 2013! BAM

16. I love carrot cake, so a breakfast version sounds awesome to me!

17. I’m pro this idea with all my heart. I enjoy your recipes and breakfast is my type of meal. I will not propose anything as I’m very curious of your ideas :)

18. munakenny

/  January 3, 2013

This dish reminds me of a my favorite Indian dessert Gajar ka halwa (carrot pudding), it looks delicious and what a treat to have in the morning :)

• I had to google Gajar ka halwa, it is totally new to me :) it turns out it is very similar to something calles halawt jazar that is popular here but with fewer spices

19. Oatmeal that tastes like cake batter?! I’m in! That sounds delicious. I fully admit to licking cake batter too. ;) I’m excited about your posts for breakfasts – especially your new granola recipes. :)

20. This is brilliant, Sawsan! In fact..I’m making this for breakfast tomorrow! I love it!

21. Denise at BeBetsy

/  January 3, 2013

Wow! What a great recipe. I’ll have to make this one evening so I can have it for my early breakfast. Really fantastic!

/  January 3, 2013

Even tho’, to be absolutely honest, I don’t usually have oatmeal for breakfast, I think this is a brilliant idea for those who do. The dish looks so appetizing and is so full of goodness to take one to lunchtime! Methinks many will say ‘thank you’ and even I may get away from my grainy breads, herring, eel, onion, cottage cheese etc et al and try :D !

23. I love… oatmeal. I have add different fruits but never tried with carrots. This is really delicious and I am going to make this soon, may be tomorrow.
    Have a wonderful new year! Hoping to see some more delicious quick breakfast recipes.

24. This looks terrific! I love being able to add veggies to breakfast. Love the idea of this – so simple and flavorful. Good stuff – thanks.

25. What an interesting recipe, Sawsan. I love the idea of adding carrots to oatmeal–and how healthy. You always inspire!

26. I’m going to try this oatmeal variation, Sawsan. Love the cardamom.

• I really hope you will enjoy it :) Please let me know how it turns out

• I made it this morning, but left out the cardamom due to shortness of time (I have to crack open the pods and grind the cardamom). It was a delicious variation on my typical morning oatmeal cooked in milk with dried fruit and nuts — I’ll probably make it again from time to time.

• Thank you for getting back to me Sharyn. I am glad you enjoyed it :) and cracking the cardamom pods and grinding them when you need them is the best way to get the most flavor out of them. I usually grind a very small jar because I use it often. That way it loses a little flavor but not too much because I use it up quickly

27. Sawsan I’d like a bowl right now please. It looks and sounds amazing. I’m sitting in front of a plate of scrambled eggs – admittedly quite nice but not a patch on your brekkie! Looking forward to the Spiced seed variation too.

28. I will be paying close attention to your breakfast ideas, as this one already stole my heart… I tend to like savory stuff rather than sweet, but as you mentioned, I can always reduce the sweetener in this one. I will be making it for sure

(by the way, I finally made your roasted pumpkin seeds, the one you brine before roasting, will be on my blog someetime, will let you know and of course, give you all the credit! ;-)

• I too favor savory stuff for breakfast but I also think change is the spice of life so change is welcome every now and then
      I can’t wait to hear how the oatmeal turns out :)

29. What a great twist to an old favourite, oatmeal. We will often make Bircher muesli which is made with uncooked oats, yogurt and grated apples, with some other dried fruit, nuts and seeds. I can see how the spices for your carrot cake oatmeal would work in the muesli too. What’s wrong with tasting cake batter ;-) ?

• I had Bricher muesli for the first time this past summer when we went to Petra. It was one of the breakfast items I LOVED at the hotel :) it is actually coming up as one of the healthy breakfast options.
      I am loving all the comments in support of tasting cake batter :) I was expecting lectures about salmonila risks. Thank you for the support :)

30. Your images are gorgeous Sawsan, and this idea for a beautiful, winterful bowl for warmth for breakfast sounds fantastic! We love our oatmeal, so this is a must try! Happy New Year my friend, good cheer, health and peace! xx

31. Great recipe! There is no excuse not to have breakfast!

32. Your images are gorgeous Sawsan, and this idea for a beautiful, winterful bowl of warmth for breakfast sounds fantastic!! Will try! ;) xo

33. Ahhhhh!! What a way to start the day!!! Delish!! Happy New Year Sawsan :)

1. 10 Twists on Breakfast: Healthy and Quick Morning Meals
  2. Apple cinnamon granola #backtoschool | Chef in disguise
  3. Baked oatmeal (Secret recipe club) | Chef in disguise
  4. Nutrition Monday | fulpallenwrestling
  5. March Transformation: Less Cooking, New Oatmeal Variations (Nutella, Cranberry-Orange-Walnut) | thekalechronicles
  6. Vegan oatmeal, date and walnut muffins | Chef in disguise