Lady finger fruit dessert

This lady finger dessert is one of my go to recipes when I have guests. It is quick , can be made a day or two ahead of time and you can play around with the filling and decoration making a new version every time. It is also a kid friendly dessert, My kids love helping me make this every time, suggesting different ways to decorate the top and sides.

Lady finger biscuits or cookies are also known as Boudoir biscuits, sponge biscuits, sponge fingers, Naples biscuits, Savoy biscuits (Savoiardi) and biscuits la cuiller.They are made from a sponge cake batter that is piped into the shape of a finger cookie. They are great served with ice cream or with a cup of tea or coffee but they really shine in desserts like tiramisu or triffle when they are dunked into a syrup or liquid and used to form the cake like layer in those desserts.

My recipe today might be simple with a few ingredients but it is a good example of when a recipe is much greater than the sum of its parts. When you dunk the lady finger cookies in the fruit syrup they absorb the wonderful flavors in it and become the perfect complement to the banana infused cream and the fruit filling. It will only take you 20 minutes to make this elegant summer dessert which is guaranteed to impress and please you guests

Before I give you the recipe, I would like to share a few pictures I took over the weekend from our visit to Mount Neebo.

These wild flowers are common here in Jordan especially in the Mountains but that does not make them less magical

I love how proud and elegant horses are, we saw quite a few on our way but this one was close enough to the side of the road.

I find watching wheat sway in the wind very calming, it is almost as if you are standing at the sea shore watching the waves

These hand made rugs were also sold along the way

Last but not least here are a few pictures from the top

Click on the panorama to see a bigger version

The kids went home dusty and tired but happy. They got two little stone carvings. Ibrahim chose an elephant (of course!) and Jana chose a cat. The man selling them said they bring good luck, I don’t believe in such stuff, the only luck I believe these little carvings will bring is a sweet memory and hopefully a smile when the kids are all grown up.

Now back to our

lady finger fruit dessert recipe

2 packs lady finger biscuits

2 cups heavy whipping cream (if you are using the powdered whipped cream then you will need 4 envelopes and 1 cup of milk)

2 small bananas

3 tablespoons cream cheese

1 can of fruits cocktail

1 tablespoon powdered milk

Fruits for decoration

Start by draining your can of fruit preserving the liquid

Take the liquid from the can and dissolve a tablespoon of powdered milk in it (this will be the liquid you will dunk your lady finger)

Line the sides and bottom of a  7 inch round springform pan (if you don’t have a springform pan use a transparent glass serving bowl) with lady fingers that you have dunked in the fruit cocktail syrup

In another bowl mash the bananas and add the cream cheese and beat until smooth.

Add the whipping cream and beat until the cream thickens and forms soft peaks.

Spread 1/3 of the banana cream mix on the bottom layer of lady finger biscuits

Spread 1/2 of the fruit cocktail on top of the cream

Arrange another layer of lady finger cookies that you have dunked in the syrup followed by another layer of cream and fruit topped with another layer of cookies

Spread the last 1/3 of the cream on top of the final layer of cookies

Decorate with your choice of fruit.

You can flavor the whipped cream any way you like, you can add lemon curd, coco powder, puree mangos or strawberries or an envelop of your favorite jello flavor

You can decorate the top with fruit, lemon zest, chocolate shavings, whipped cream, it’s up to you

1. I have everything but cream cheese and am thinking of substituting it with Greek yogurt. Fingers crossed it would work!

2. Theresa

/  December 14, 2012

Loved the addition of your beautiful pictures. Beautiful! I’m looking forward to trying this recipe tomorrow.

3. It sure is a yummy recipe, thanks for sharing..
    What impressed me too, are the pictures of mount Neebo, where is it located?

4. sue janeski

/  September 23, 2012

looks delicious. will try to make tonight fir a wedding shower tomorrow. thank you.

5. Noha

/  August 31, 2012

Done it was easy to prepare fun to eat Thanks for sharing i used to do it with a sponge cake but using ladies finger instead gave it a professional look

6. Alexis

/  July 2, 2012

How do i cut this and serve it?

7. This sounds like a lovely summer dessert when having friends over. It is so pretty.

8. The dessert is just picture perfect and it’s just one of those universal desserts that are suly to please everyone; and the scenery… wow, simply breathtaking!

9. Beautiful sceneries and beautiful cake. Gorgeous presentation of the dessert, Sawsan.

10. What a fantastic dessert! I was in awe of how easily it came together but looks as if you spent hours on it! Woo hoo! There are always time when I need a quick (but impressive) dessert. I adore the sound of the banana cream. Oh my…I could eat banana cream all day. I am soooooo glad you shared.

It sounds like you had such a nice time on your little trip to the mountain. The photos are so peaceful, I can almost feel your serenity as you traveled. Your kids are so lucky to have a mom that spends such quality time with them. Have a very wonderful weekend Sawsan.

11. What a beautiful spring cake, Sawsan! It’s so fun, festive and colorful!

12. oh i love love love love love this! So dainty and cute yet sinfully delicious!

13. Deeps @ Naughty Curry

/  May 24, 2012

so pretty! love the decoration

14. I’m behind on my blog reading, but have been admiring this for days on Facebook and Pinterest.

15. Another great use of ladys fingers, should definitely try this beauty out.

16. Oh, yeah, I can totally see how the kids would love making this – and it looks so fancy when done, too! And what a fun excursion for you and the kids – love the panorama view, simply gorgeous.

17. Seriously….at a loss for words. This is STUNNING Sawsan!!! I love how the lady fingers hold up without the support of the pan. Want want want!

18. What a beautiful, summery dessert :)

/  May 23, 2012

What a beautiful post – so fun to follow your adventures. The lady finger dessert looks SO gorgeous – and delicious. So happy to sign up to follow and looking forward to more!
    Mary x

20. My mom used to make a dessert very similar to this; she always had lady finger biscuits in her pantry.
    The photos of your day trip are lovely, the views are spectacular. Thanks for sharing your little trip with us.

21. vanessalillian

/  May 23, 2012

I love anything involving fruit.

Any tips on how to get it out of the tin without it falling to pieces?

• Hello Vanessa, I usually keep it in the firdge over night, take it out 10-15 minutes before serving. My pan has a removable base so I gently push the base upwards and it comes out the way you see it in the picture. The stay in the fridge allows the lady finger cookies to absorb moisture from the cream and fruits and they puff up and hold together with out the need for any more support

22. This is beautiful Sawsan! So cool and refreshing. Fabulous pictures of your adventure too. It sounds like a great adventure.

23. This turned out just perfectly! I have a version of this dish torn out from a magazine to try.. now you’ve inspired me! I clicked on your panorama photo.. what stunning views, almost as stunning as your dessert;) xo Smidge

24. Hi Sawsan – what a view from the top of the mountain! I share the same love as you as well… watching wheat swaying in the wind… it’s incredibly beautiful, seeing the different shades and stronger currents hit different parts of the field etc… so wonderful!

Your cake looks delightful! It reminds me that I’ve actually had a half pack of lady fingers shoved at the back of the cupboard for about 4 years, lol… I should really throw them out!

• Hello Charles, I especially love watching wheat when it turns golden. The color, the sounds, the soothing motion..
      I happen to forget things in the back of my cupboard too. I buy things enthusiastic about all the possibilities and things I can do with them and then forget about them lol

25. I remember ladyfinger desserts fondly from my teens. My favourite had a cooked pudding base, a fruit flavoured no-cook mousse layer (from a box) and then whipping cream. It now seems that the chemical tasting mousse, called “Whip and Chill” is no longer made … it was probably VERY bad for you, but it tasted great to my sweet loving teen palate. I’m sure your version is much healthier. :)

Lovely photographs by the way especially the flowers.

/  May 22, 2012

What wonderful pictures! Thanks so much for sharing them! Love the dessert, but once again – too beauty to eat! NOT! :)

27. Excellent photos! And what an amazing dessert!

28. beginsatsundown

/  May 22, 2012

So pretty!

29. What a lovely post Sawsan:) I loved the rugs so much. Missing my home after reading your post. Loved the simple and quick dessert recipe too.

30. Loved reading your post Sawsam:) I am absolutely in love with those rugs…missing India. Love the quick dessert recipe too.

31. This looks very pretty with the cut fruit on top, Sawsan. And I enjoyed the photos of the flowers, rugs and carvings.

32. A very elegant fruit cake, I just had lunch and am drooling for a slice for dessert.
    Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos of your visit to Mount Neebo.

33. Lori

/  May 22, 2012

As usual a great recipe. Thanks for all the great meals, I really enjoy your blog. I look forward to each new post.

The pictures are great too.

34. flavorsofthesun

/  May 22, 2012

What an elegant dessert to make, considering that it is so very simple. Thank you so much. Great photos, as always.

35. What stunning carvings the children chose, i love that they help you in the kitchen.. I have never seen lady fingers, or worked with them, they do look visually quite stunning. Jordan has such big and dry views, and those rugs, how can you resist.. c

• I love working with the kids in the kitchen Cecilia, it is a time to bond and have fun and learn about food and nutrition and a little creativity.
      Jordan is for the most part made up of desserts and dry areas, Amman , the capital where I live is a city on 7 mountains. It is has fair weather and it is less dry than other parts of the country. I will be sharing more pictures of the city and other areas in my upsoming posts

36. Oh WOW what a great looking dessert! And lovely photos as well from your trip up the mountain, it looks so peaceful and beautiful up there

37. Shireen

/  May 22, 2012

That looks awsome and I would guess tastes heavenly! I wish this post came one week earlier…. I would have definitely made it for Angi’s Birthday!
    Well done!

38. What a lovely dessert, they remind me of when I was a child! And as for those photos…so beautiful. I loved the rugs, stunning. And I agree with you re the carvings, hopefully the children will treasure them and the memories.

39. I think that these merchants all go to the same school and are taught that, when all else fails, tell the customer that the object is a good luck charm. Your dessert, Sawsan, may be easy to assemble but it sure does make a wonderful impression. Using strawberries and kiwi to top it off is a really nice touch.

• I totally agree John, it is a trick that appeals to many.
      Thank you for your kind comment about the dessert, strawberries and Kiwi were what I had on hand but I thought the contrast of red and green against the white of the cream would be nice, I am glad you like it

40. This looks so beautiful my friend – the colours, presentation is just stunning :D

41. Cindy Bennett

/  May 22, 2012

Looks like a great recipe! Erik definitely try it in a glass “trifle” bowl for attractive presentation 7 pinned it & posted to facebook!

/  May 22, 2012

cudne :)

43. such an elegant dessert and so simple to make!! you can play around with it in so many ways!! btw.. those wild flowers are also seen in India.. their burst of colour is such a sight for sore eyes during the summer!!!

1. Falafel | Chef in disguise