Spicy chickpea rice “kedreh”

Kedreh in arabic means a small clay pot and this recipe takes on the name because it is traditionally cooked in those small clay pots in a wood oven.

The recipe can be made with chicken or meat..what really makes it special is the spices used in it and the fact that you use the water you cooked the chickpeas in to cook the meat in and then it is used to cook the rice giving the final dish layers of flavor. Having said that, you can make this with chickpeas from a can but you would really be missing out on a lot of the flavor. Chickpeas cooked at home taste way better that anything from a can and using the cooking water in this recipe infuses the meat and rice with more flavor.

Traditionally this recipe is made with loads of garlic. Up to 2 whole heads of garlic in a pot but I usually scale that down to 4 or 5 cloves.

You can also make this into a vegetarian recipe by omitting the meat all together, you will still get loads of flavor from the chickpeas spice combination.

1 cup chickpeas

1 1/2 cups short grain  rice

1 onion chopped

4-5 peeled cloves garlic whole

250 grams beef cut into cubes (any cut you like)

water (or the water you cooked the chickpeas in)

2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon turmeric

1 teaspoon all spice

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon cardamom

1 teaspoon cumin.

olive oil

In a pot , heat the olive oil add the meat and stir 4-5 minutes.

Add the spices except for the turmeric

Add 4 cups of water  and bring to a boil, cook untill the meat is done.

In another pot add a little olive oil, saute the onions and then add the rice, garlic cloves and the chickpeas followed by the turmeric

Add 3 cups of the meat broth along with the pieces of meat

Bring to a boil over medium heat then lower the heat and cover the pot.

Leave it on a low flame untill the rice absorbs all the water, turn off the heat and allow to stand for at least 10 minutes (I some times leave it up to 1 hour)

When you are ready to serve it,fluff the rice with a fork and serve it with a salad or some greek yogurt.

Enjoy

1. Looks fluffy and light and has such great spices! This is just wonderful.

2. I love the cinnamon cardamom combination, so rich!

3. Looks very nice, and full of vibrant color. I like chickpeas. Your photos are amazing :)

4. Too good. Too good.

5. I can look at this photo, close my eyes and smell the fantastic aroma of those spices. This is my kinda dish! Delicious!

6. Wow – this looks great! Cinnamon and Cardamom work so well together!

7. Tnyo

/  July 4, 2011

This looks delicious, was looking for new recipes with rice.. Will definatly try this one!

8. Wow – looks amazing. We eat loads of chickpeas here in Spain and looking at this dish really reminded me of a lot of the rice (one pot type) dishes we use here. but then again, we do have so many arabic influences in Andalucia that it makes sense. I´m definitiely going to try this one as I know we´ll enjoy it!

• Thank you so much Tanya.. you are right..alot of the recipes you talk about seem familiar…the arabic influence shows through alot of them..
      Ireally hope you’ll like this one :)

9. This looks right up my street. Tonnes of Flavour and comfort food too.

10. Your last photo is gorgeous! We love rice here, too…and always looking for new and flavorful dishes like this!

11. That looks delicious! All the spices in it sound wonderful!

12. This sounds so delicious! I love how colorful the meal is too. Awesome photos, as usual. :)

13. This looks delicious! I just learned that I LOVE chickpeas! And seriously – 1-2 heads of garlic?! I would be in heaven. I can easily eat that much garlic in one sitting. It’s absolutely one of my favorite foods. I might up the garlic if we make this. :)

• Chickpeas are amazing and so versatile..I use them in salads and main dishes and as a snack..and they are really good for you..
      I really hope you’ll like this if you gave it a try

14. Chickpea rice! Looks very savory and I love how you used it for rice dish! Your decoration is making this brown food look a lot nicer. I’m not very good with taking picture of brown object….

• I have my share of trouble with brown food..I really wish I could get my pictures to look as pretty as yours :)

15. Your photography is delightful! It has always been great but now it is beyond great! Have you gotten a new camera?

• Thank you so much Ginger..remember when my camera broke..a couple of months later I got a new camera and I am gradully learning how to use it ..your kind comment means alot

16. This looks fabulous! I love how you presented it, and it’s a meal that would be perfect for me and my husband! I want to try one day…without the meat. Thanks for sharing another wonderful recipe! :)

• Thank you Sheila…it is actually really good without the meat..can’t wait to hear what you think when you try it

17. Hello, I just want to let you know how much I enjoy your blog. Everything sounds so wonderful but this recipe just talked to me. I definitely going to try this.

• Thank you so much Karen..your words mean alot to me…I can’t wait to hear what you think when you do try it

18. This sounds so interesting and good. I am going to try this soon. Bookmarking the recipe! Thanks!

19. wow! love this recipe cos I love chickpeas. Chinese people do a lot of claypot cooking too but I don’t own one myself. I hope a heavy cast iron pot can have the same effect. love your blog too, glad i found it.

1. You say kabsa I say kabseh « Chef in disguise