Potato salad..Daring Cook’s June challenge

Jami Sorrento was our June Daring Cooks hostess and she chose to challenge us to celebrate the humble spud by making a delicious and healthy potato salad. The Daring Cooks Potato Salad Challenge was sponsored by the nice people at the United States Potato Board, who awarded prizes to the top 3 most creative and healthy potato salads. A medium-size (5.3 ounce) potato has 110 calories, no fat, no cholesterol, no sodium and includes nearly half your daily value of vitamin C and has more potassium than a banana!

This was truly a fun challenge (thank you Jami). I love experimenting with salads especially potato salad. It is such a wonderful canvas that allows you to create and what’s more it is really good for you.

I came up with four salads for this month , I had 2 more ideas but sadly I didn’t have the time to make them before the reveal date.

Cajun potato salad

Had some Cajun spices left from making the gumbo so I thought I’d use them in a potato salad..the result was heavenly. Just the right amount of spice paired with creamy soft potatoes, crunchy peppers and fragrant basil..in one word..YUM

Cajun potato salad

4-5 medium potatoes peeled cubed and boiled
2-3 teaspoons of the home made Cajun spice (recipe follows)
1/2 red pepper cut into strips
1/2 yellow pepper cut into strips
2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
2 tablespoons greek yogurt
a small bunch of basil

Boil the potatoes in salted water until fork tender
drain them and sprinkle Cajun spices on them while still hot
Add the pepper ,mayonnaise,yogurt and basil
Toss gently to combine
chill before serving..
enjoy

home-made Cajun Spice

1 tablespoon sweet paprika
1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons creole seasoning
½ teaspoon ground allspice

CPM potato salad

Cumin pepper mint salad is my friend’s Rana favorite salad recipe, she says her heart dances when she makes this. One mouth full and you will know why :)

3 medium potatoes peeled, cubed and boiled

1/2 red pepper cut into cube

Green onions cut into strips (optional)

Small bunch of mint chopped

Juice of half a lemon

1/4 teaspoon cumin

1/4 teaspoon dried coriander

Salt to taste

Drizzle of olive oil

Mash your boiled potatoes with a drizzle of olive oil, cumin,coriander and salt.

Add the mint and pepper and toss to combine

Warm potato salad

This recipe was one we had in a restaurant and the chef was kind enough to give me the recipe..I love making it at home because it is a refreshing change from regular potato salad

Warm potato salad

3 medium potatoes

10 slices smoked turkey cut into strips

2 tablespoon olive oil

1 small onion chopped

1 tablespoon flour

1 teaspoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup water

1/4 cup vinegar

1 teaspoon mustard

Dash of pepper

1 teaspoon dried oregano

Fresh oregano for decoration

Boil your potato and cut them into cubes

In a pan heat your olive oil and add the sliced smoked turkey and stir occasionally until crisp and golden

Remove the turkey slices from the pan and add the chopped onion,saute until translucent.

Add the flour and stir for a couple of minutes.

Add the water,vinegar and mustard and whisk untill the mix starts to bubble.

Add the oregano and whisk to combine.Turn off the heat

Add the potatoes and 2/3 the turkey and toss to combine.

Transfer to serving bowl and decorate with the remaining turkey and fresh oregano

Turkish potato salad

This amazing salad recipe comes from delicious bite. It is the perfect pairing of tangy yogurt, creamy potatoes, colorful carrots and yummy corn

2 big Potatoes peeled and boiled

dressing

Juice of one lemon
1/2 cup yogurt
3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
1 clove garlic minced
Salt to taste
cumin
paprika
corn

for decoration
1 carrot grated

Mash the potatoes while they are warm (I like to leave them a little chunky)
In a bowl mix the remaining ingredients
Add the dressing to the potatoes with the corn half the corn..toss to combine..arrange in serving plate

In a pan saute the carrots with a dash of cumin for 5 minutes

Decorate with corn and carrots and a dash of dried mint

I have already shared two more potato salad recipes

You can find the recipe here

You can find the recipe here

1. I love Cajun spice!! Sometimes I get too excited and add a little too much :) I’ve never tried it on Potato Salad. Love it :)

• I actually made this by chance..I was going through my spices whrn inspiration called ..I had a jar of home made cajun spice left from making Gumbo and I thought why not!

2. All your salads look delicious! Especially the Cajun Potato Salad–gorgeous!

3. Wow, how many lovely ideas. Good luck to you in the competition! I think I´ll start with the cumin one as I love the idea of making my heart dance :)

4. this looks awesome! daring cooks looks so exciting. I signed up to join last month so hopefully I’ll get the key into the recipes soon to take part! Yay. can’t wait to join you.

• Yay! That’s great news!
      You’ll have LOADS of fun :)
      Looking forward to seeing you on the daring kitchen forum for next month’s challenge

5. Sawsan…you are amazing posting recipes everyday. I hardly can catch up 3 times a week. I love all of your potato salad, but I like the first two most. As I love potatoes, I always look for a new recipes, and I found 2 that I’d love to try today. ;-) Thanks for sharing the recipe!

• I am really glad you like the recipes Nami..
      as for posting daily..This blog is like my vent..my space and getaway..I enjoy writing and LOVE the interaction with other food bloggers :)

6. You have given us so many awesome choices for a very favorite picnic food!

7. Wow. The hits just keep coming! I think the warm is my favorite. Katherine would love all the no mayo options.

8. nice one dear

9. Suddenly I have a craving for potato salad! The cajun recipe looks delicious! And the presentation of the cumin pepper mint potato salad is so pretty – it can’t possibly be potato salad!

• hehehe..cravings are weird aren’t they !
      Thank you for your sweet words…The cumin pepper mint salad is a recipe from a very Talanted Lebanese friend of mine..you should see her presentation!amazing!

10. Congratulations! You have received the Versatile blogger award! To claim your award please visit this post: http://savoringeverybite.wordpress.com/2011/06/14/grilled-artichokes-with-sun-dried-tomato-dip-and-my-first-award/

11. The cajun salads sounds really tasty and the Turkish one sure looks interesting. So many to choose from – you have been very busy.

12. Oh, wow, all four of those look and sound delicious – I have no idea which I’d go for first if they were all in front of me! So creative. Great job!!

13. I love the cajun potato salad! I am going to borrow your cajun spice mix!

14. What a fabulous ides to use the gumbo spices! Seems like there were a lot of spicy versions of potato salad for the challenge, and they all look so tasty.

15. Mmmm mutiple choices, and all of them are delicious and tempting to make, but the CPM is my favourite one, thanks Sawsan for all of the recipes.

16. You made so many potato salads! All of them are beautiful, but the cumin/pepper/mint and warm turkey salads are really calling to me. I love the idea of cajun spiced potato salad too. I’ll have to add them to my list of must-try potato salads – it’s getting long now!

• Thank you for your sweet comment…my list is a mile long too! it will be a couple of years before I finish trying all the wonderful recipes the daring cooks came up with

17. Most intrigued by the Cajun and Turkish salads. Yum!!!

18. Look at you go! You have so many wonderful idea! Great job with this challenge!

19. Oh my gosh, so many fabulous potato salad recipes! I kept scrolling down, expecting the post to be over, but there you had another gorgeous and delicious looking photo and recipe. You’re awesome!

20. I love potatoes and with so many variation of potato salad .. i am drooling out here. :)

21. :D 6 GREAT potato salad recipes…. Good work, Food Doc Will be trying some soon :D

22. Holy moly! Wow 4 salads and they each sound fantastic! Sure wish we could stop by for a bite of each one.

• Thank you so much…I really wish they would invent something that will allow you to taste pictures or at least smell them hehehe

23. I have never been a big fan of potato salad. You have made me seriously reconsider this. :) Lovely recipes, and photos. I will be making the cajun version first, and will work my way down. Maybe by the end of the summer, I will be a HUGE fan of potato salad. :)

24. Four different salads, that’s totally inspiring! Love all of them! Congratulations on such an amazing interpretation of the challenge! I wouldn’t know which one to choose if I had to :)
    Thanks for your lovely comment and good wishes. I’ll stay in touch at the DK!

25. Wow, so many salads! I love them all, especially the Turkish one, I think :-).

26. it’s my pleasure to be here always
    as usual wonderful dish

27. Love the Cajun spices in this potato salad – the basil is a really nice touch too. I have sweet potato on hand – will try that. Thanks!

28. I love potato salad. it is the quintessential southern dish in my opinion. Yours looks so good and I love your flavors. Some I have never had before in my version!

29. You were definitely inspired by this challenge! Great recipes!

30. Love this salad! Looks so so creamy & delicious.Am drooling :)

31. eva626

/  June 16, 2011

i never liked potato salad…maybe its cause i dont like mayo. do you think yogurt will work??

32. Lisa

/  June 16, 2011

Wow..you really went to potato salad town on this one! They are all potato salads I would love to make! I’m especially intrigued by the peppermint cumin mashed potato salad. Also LOVINg the cajun. I’d be shocked if you didn’t win one of the prizes :) You so rocked this challenge!

33. I just left the comment below..no idea why my name posted as Carrie..could you change it back to me? :)

34. Great job on the challenge! I can’t believe you were able to make 4 salads. I’m going to have to try harder next time.
    The cajun salad sounds delicious… my husband loves cajun food.

35. Ohhh I would not know which one to choose! They all look delicious! Great job Sawsan!!!! I have to say that using cajun spices in the first salad was a very clever idea!!! It must have tasted fantastic!!!! :-)))

• I really loved your salad Manu…Your presentation was amazing
      Thank you for your kind words about my salads..the cajun was my favorite too

36. Wow, so many different ways to dress up the humble potato salad- Great ideas you’ve got here!

37. bakingdevils

/  June 16, 2011

I love potato salad….You have some amazing recipes here…I especially like the turkish version with grated carrots and sweetcorn. It looks so pretty too..Never been to your site before and glad I came across it today… great read.

-Shilpa

38. im guessing you like potatoes?

39. I’m desperate to try the CPM but they all look great! I love potatoes especially mashed, I could live on them alone!! :D

40. These salads all look divine. I don’t know how anyone could choose one over the other. They’re beautiful!

41. I especially love the Cajun potato salad, great idea!

42. These are all tasty variations on potato salad! Yum!

43. The Turkish and CPM looks new to me, very interesting types of potato salad

44. Wow, the Turkish and the Cajun potato salad look absolutely awesome. I adore potato salads, it’s one of my favourite things ever – thanks so much for all the inspiration Sawsan :)

45. the potato salad looks great! Think I’ll try it over the weekend but I think I’ll replace the turkey with some bacon! ;)

46. I like the flavorings in your first two salads, Sawsan, I’d just have to leave out the mayo, which I will not eat in or on anything.

1. Honey oragano beef onion skewers « Chef in disguise