Pumpkin frittata with feta cheese and basil

I promised a series of pumpkin posts to follow the homemade pumpkin  puree. Today I am carrying on the series with one of my family’s favorite fall meals. Pumpkin frittata with feta cheese and basil. Beautiful shades of orange and yellow and flavors to match that beauty.

Roasting the pumpkins and potatoes intensifies their flavor. The basil adds freshness, the onion rings add color and the slightest crunch when you bite into them. The feta blends into the egg mixture making the frittata fluffier and lighter.

Pumpkin Feta Frittata

4 cups (650 g) pumpkin cut into cubes

1 large potato cut into cubes

Salt

Black pepper

Olive oil

8 eggs

100 g feta cheese crumbled

1/2 cup basil chopped coarsely

1 red onion cut into rings`

3/4 cup cheddar cheese cut into cubes

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 220 C

line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly oil it.

Arrange the pumpkin and potato pieces in a single layer. Sprinkle with salt and freshly cracked black pepper and drizzle with olive oil

Roast the pumpkins and potatoes until they are cooked through and tender (30- 40 minutes)

Grease a deep 20 by 24 cm pan and arrange the roasted pumpkins and potatoes in the pan

Whisk the eggs with the feta cheese and basil

Pour the egg mixture over the pumpkins and potatoes and top with onions and cheddar cubes

Bake on the lower rack of the oven at 220 C until firm (20- 25 minutes)

If you like the top to be slightly golden brown, place the frittata under the broiler for a couple of minutes

Allow the frittata to rest for 5 minutes

Garnish with basil leaves

Serve with a green salad and enjoy

Coming soon on Chef in disguise, olive oil bread (kaek bel zait)

1. The first photo just took my breath away !! nice recipe :)

2. I am waiting for the bread recipe..it looks very good :)

/  October 24, 2012

This looks amazing

4. I am so making this tomorrow for lunch, this frittata must taste heavenly!! I am a big fan of weverything with pumpkin, so I know I will love it :) Have I ever told you that I am in love with your beautiful, colourful photos?:) I trully am…
    The olive oil bread looks wonderful, I am looking forward to the recipe!

5. I can’t even imagine how perfect this would taste my friend it is actually stunning :)

6. It looks fantastic! I close my eyes and can almost taste all those flavors…Thanks for sharing :)

7. Gosh, I love a frittata, but never made one with pumpkin before. What a terrific idea! And the feta sounds just right. Really excellent recipe – thanks so much.

8. I must cook it. I love pumpkin!

9. MAGNIFICANT!!! What a beautiful and original creation. I am so in love.

10. I (we) are SO going to love this Sawsan! If I can possibly swing it, this will be on the menu this weekend! (My husband’s been on the road about 4 of the past 6 wks and is so looking forward to home and home-cooking.) Thank you dear friend, this will be such a hit! xx

11. I have a dish which is almost exactly the same but with potatoes. You have made it look gorgeous in your photos.

12. thelady8home

/  October 25, 2012

I have made pumpkin omelets, so I KNOW this must taste heavenly. Love the colors and your presentation, as always, is flawless. I always feel so calm just by looking at your posts. And hungry.

13. How delicious!

14. This is such a beautiful dish and I am sure flavorful. Also easy to put together, on my to-make list.

15. This is a frittata unlike any I’ve seen before. It’s a work of art, Sawsan. I’ve made plenty of frittate but none have ever looked this good. Well done!

16. This looks very very very good and it is beautiful!

17. Now that is something different! I love it! We are going to try it and is if we can add it to our fall menu at the plantation! Thank you!

/  October 25, 2012

So easy to make, this looks just beautiful! Although spring has truly sprung here, there must be a pumpkin in the shops somewhere to try :) ! Alas, most of the wonderful pumpkin and squash recipes on Northern posts have to be filed for our next autumn season :( !

19. What a great and tasty looking frittata! Very seasonal and so beautiful on your pictures! well done!

20. Looks beautiful and perfect for a fall day!

21. looks beautiful Sawsan,. Cant wait for the olive bread recipe!

22. This looks so delicious – here in New Zealand pumpkin is nearly always eaten as a vegetable and my favourite cooking method is to roast it. You’ve added even more “yummyness” by then adding feta and basil then making it all into a frittata that will be so good hot, warm or at room temperature. Super thanks from Michelle in Wellington, New Zealand

23. miriam

/  October 25, 2012

i cant wait for kaek bil zeit recipe!!!! they look absolutely exquisite..please post USA measurements if possible..ty..ps still looking forward to kaft bil tahineh!

24. what a gorgeous frittata! incredibly easy and I love the way you presented it.

25. YUM. Love a good pumpkin frittata Sawsan. I’ve never added red onion to mine though, and I can imagine how good it would be! I’m seriously salivating at the photo of the olive oil bread. Can’t wait…

26. munakenny

/  October 25, 2012

Looks so delicious and colorful, reminded me of summer. Very beautiful clicks :)

27. What a fresh looking frittata. I love making these for dinner.

28. I can see why this is a family favorite. I could eat the whole pan! What fabulous flavors! Looking forward to the olive oil bread too. :)

29. This is gorgeous!
    P.S. I have been using your chai concentrate recipe and my girls are both hooked on it. I heat it up with milk (or almond milk for my lactose intolerant daughter) and add a little agave or sweetened condensed milk. It is such a treat.

30. flavorsofthesun

/  October 25, 2012

What an original recipe. And so pretty and health! Thanks for posting!

31. In Spain we had a Tapa which they called a Spanish Omelet, and it had potato in it, it was delightful — I never thought it could be so good so I can just imagine how tasty this omelet is. And it’s quite beautiful too.

32. Juliana

/  October 25, 2012

Wow, what a great idea pumpkin frittata…looks beautiful and full of flavor.
    Thanks for the recipe and hope you are having a fantastic week :)

33. Never had this;never heard of this… It is BEAUTIFUL!

/  October 26, 2012

Pumpkin and feta! Delicious! What a great recipe!

35. This is one of the most beautiful frittatas I have seen! What an innovative way to use pumpkin.

36. Kraemer's Culinary Blog

/  October 27, 2012

Your pumpkin fritata looks fantastic and your pictures are incredible. I like to cook these type of baked dishes, because they quick and easy to prepare. I love the feta cheese in this dish.

37. I have been enjoying pumpkin dishes on our trip in Europe. When I get home, I can’t wait to try this colorful and tasty sounding dish showcasing pumpkin.

38. I make vegetable frittatas almost every week but never thought to add pumpkin. How delish! Thanks for sharing Sawsan – I may also try this with butternut squash – a staple we keep on hand all fall/winter… As always, your blog inspires!!

grace, peace & Inspiration – Virginia

39. Again, what a great surprise! I’d have never thought to add pumpkin to a frittata.. what a pretty dish too!

40. Thats a nice and simple dish, I definitely love this for breakfast

41. Wow, this looks delicious and beautiful– it’s so colorful; I love it!

42. helene dsouza

/  October 30, 2012

I fell in love with your frittata, the thickness is perfect with the orange bright colors. Very very tempting!

43. Beautiful frittata, I love the flavors!