How to make your own Labneh cheese (yogurt cheese)

Some call it yogurt cheese, others call it the Lebanese cream cheese but it is most commonly known as labneh. It is a staple on any breakfast menu, one of my favorite dips, makes a wonderful sandwich with a few mint leaves or some pitted olives or better yet with a sprinkle of zaatar. To put it simply labneh is strained yogurt, it is super easy to make and very tasty and the best part is, you can flavor it any way you like. Mint, oregano, sumac, olives, chili flakes, your imagination is the limit, better yet why not try a combination of flavors and make a middle eastern dip that is all your own

Compared to cream cheese, labneh is much healthier and lighter in calories, you can make it using regular yogurt or fat free yogurt but the best labneh is the one you make out of homemade yogurt. Another major plus to making labneh is that it is really easy to preserve, regular labneh lasts 2-3 weeks in the fridge. If you strain it further, you will get a labneh that you can roll into balls and these are called “labneh korat”or”labneh mka3baleh” which means “labneh balls”. Put these is a jar and submerge them with oil and they will last a whole year in the fridge. Labneh balls also make for a wonderful appetizer if you make them small enough. You can serve them plain or rolled in zaatar, sesame seeds, parsley, sumac, or pepper.You can even serve a platter of labneh balls rolled in different toppings, they make for a very pretty and tasty appetizer. You can also add them to salads if you feel like adding a refreshing new twist to your regular salad.

Homemade labneh

1 Kg Yogurt (greek ,regular or fat free)

1 teaspoon salt

Place a  piece of doubled cheesecloth or soft cotton fabric (preferably undyed and  clean) in the colander and place the colander over a deep bowl

Stir the salt into the yoghurt then spoon the yoghurt in the center of a piece of the cheesecloth.

Leave to drain for 3-5 hours . (if the weather is hot allow it to drain in the fridge).

You can also pull the corners  of the cheese cloth up and tie them tightly and then suspend from a stationary object over a bowl (to collect the whey) . Again if the weather is hot do this in the fridge.Let the labneh hang overnight,when well drained it will be the consistency of cottage cheese.

Remove from the cloth and store covered in the refrigerator until needed.

Notes

If your labneh is still too thin in consistency, you have two options to make it thicker

• Fold the cheese cloth around the labneh and then place a weight over the labneh (think  heavy bottle or a bag of rice or sugar, something 3-5 kg in weight). The weight will help draw out the whey.
  • Leave the labneh to strain the fridge, get a clean white fabric and wrap the labneh in it and place it in the fridge in a colander over a bowl to collect the whey. Change the fabric two times a day for 2-3 days and the labneh should become very thick as the fabric will draw the whey out of it

Flavors: You can mix in fresh or dried herbs, minced garlic, pepper flakes or any other flavoring you like.

Cheese cloth The purpose of “cheese cloth” is to separate the curds from the whey by allowing the whey to drain while holding the curds and preventing them from passing through.  What most people think of as “cheese cloth:” the very wide weave material is often useless for this purpose unless you double it over itself 4 or 8 times . I recommend using either a large plain white cotton handkerchiefs, or white non-terry cotton dish towels, something clean that you dedicate for cheese making and make sure it is a fabric with fine weave

If you don’t have a cheese cloth try using unbleached coffee filters lining a fine sieve to strain the yogurt (thank you for the tip Eva)

To Serve Labneh:

• Spread it evenly over a medium-sized plate. Sprinkle with fresh seasonal herbs like mint, za’atar, or dill – or place a few olives around the center of the plate. Drizzle a thread of olive oil over all. Serve with pita or other fresh bread
  • Use it as a spread to make a sandwich, plain or with some zaatar or mint on top.
  • Serve it as a dip with cucumber, carrots or celery sticks

To make Yoghurt Cheese Balls (Labneh korat)

Drain the labneh for 5-6 more hours. (If the labneh is still too thin check the notes above on how to make it thicker in consistency)

Take about one tablespoon at a time and roll it into smooth, round balls and place in a sterile, air tight jar, cover with olive oil.

Seal the jar and store at room temperature (if you live in an area that has hot weather it would be better to store it in the fridge)

The labneh will keep this way for several months but you will have eaten them all up long before that!

What to do with the whey from making labneh?

You can use the whey in baking to replace buttermilk or to replace the liquid in the recipe. It will add nutritional value and make the end product fluffier but do keep in mind that the whey has salt in it so you may need to adjust the salt content in the recipe. I use it to make pancakes
and to make pizza and fatayer dough.
You can also make this savory drink using the whey

Coming soon:

1. Another awesome recipe, thank you! It’s better with goat yoghurt (though more expensive).

2. pat salem

/  November 20, 2013

what is the difference between plain yogurt and Labneh? I just came back from a trip to Israel and my husband and I really liked the Labneh, but am trying to figure out the difference, between it and plain yogurt…….I usually get Fage Greek yogurt from the store and the only ingredients are milk and live cultures, so please help me understand the difference………..thanks

• Hello Pat,
      Labneh is strained yogurt (yogurt is made up of milk solids and whey. Labneh is yogurt with less whey or liquid in it). It usually has salt added to it but you can also add herbs and other spices.

3. zjala

/  November 3, 2013

Hi Chef in Disguise :)

I’ve just made my first batch of labeh balls, from kefir, last night. Thy looked amazing, but this morning I saw they were apparently still fermenting in the jar, so they kind of disintegrated and pushed most od the olive olil out of the jar. What could have gone wrong?

Thanks for the reply, I can’t find any help about this problem anywhere!

• Hello Zjala
      Was the labneh firm enough when you rolled it? As far as I know the issue with kifer is that it is thinner than yogurt which means that you will have to strain for a longer time to get labneh that is firm enough to hold its own in the oil. You need to let it drain for at least 2 days to get the kefir firm enough.

4. i absolutely love labaneh. i live in japan (where any sort of middle eastern cuisine is completely unheard of), and i have proposed lebaneh to a lot of my japanese friends. cheese can get really expensive in japan, so i use it as an excellent alternative (and money saving technique). i like to mix mine with a little bit of cumin, black pepper, and freshly chopped spring onions.

5. A beautiful recipe, elegant appetizer + a great options for lactose-intolerant folks, too! Love it.

6. Amy

/  September 17, 2013

I just made labneh today with homemade ypgurt I made 2 days ago. I am really excited for the end result. I am surprised at how much whey has already drained. It puts into perspective how much liquid yogurt can hold on to, even after it has gelled. I highly recommend adding a weight to press out the extra whey.

7. Bella

/  August 26, 2013

Hello..
    Do you have a recipe for Foul Mudammas…it is eaten for breakfast …

Thanks

8. Happycook

/  July 7, 2013

Hi, Is Labneh another word for yogurt? Also, when straining, the purpose is to strain all of the juice correct? I know my questions sound elementary, but I want to start using this instead of cream cheese, which I use often in my desserts. This sounds much healthier! Thank you, Today is the 1st time that I visited your page. The recipes sound so yummy. The walnut pie I must do, & the healthy cheesecake.. Also I think it’s a tomato pizza pie, & zucchini quiche,that has also caught my eye. Thanks so much.

• Hello Happy cook
      Laban is the Arabic word for yogurt. Labneh is the strained yogurt you see here.
      You are correct about the purpose of straining, we aim to remove as much liquid as possible
      Thank you for your kind comments about my blog. I really hope you will enjoy the recipes you try

9. Ewa

/  April 10, 2013

Hi, thank you so much for the recipe and tips. I’ve made labneh before but the last few times it was a bit too runny, so I will have to try weighing it down. I will also try the oil and mint combo, sounds lovely. Thanks again, I’m enjoying your blog so much!

10. marwah

/  April 3, 2013

salam aleyki sawsan.
    while i was looking for a pita bread recipe, i found your website.. i had made pita bread before your recipe but had some problems with dough.. i took into accout your advices and obtained yummy pitas.. last night i tried this labneh recipe and we tasted at breakfast.. it was excellent. my husband loved it so much.. he is palestinian and i want to cook for him palestinian foods. last night we searched felafel recipe but could not find.. do you think posting felafel recipe?,Loves from turkey..

• Hello Marwah :)
      Thank you for taking the time to leave me this nice comment. I am really glad my pita bread making tips helped and that you enjoyed the labneh :)
      I promise to post a falafel soon. Stay tuned

11. “What most people think of as “cheese cloth:” the very wide weave material is often useless for this purpose. ”
    When you double the cheese cloth, the weave gets tighter. Even the runniest or yogurt can be held if the thickness is simply increased by four or eight thicknesses, reducing the thicknesses as the Labneh gets firmer. I can make Labneh in a day using cheese cloth as the whey goes out faster. I change the cloth three times.

• Hello Keith.
      I will update the post with your advice but I find it easier to select a fabric that has a fine weave as opposed to using cheese cloth and doubling it into 4 or 8 thicknesses.
      Changing the cloth is a great tip because it draws out more moisture from the yogurt

12. Anne

/  February 14, 2013

Hi! I have previously worked in Saudi Arabia and I really love the osh bul bul pizza it’s a pizza made of cheese and honey. I really miss this pizza since I moved back home. Can you give an idea how to make this pizza. Your reply will be very much treasured. Thank you in advance!

13. Wendy Riddel

/  January 30, 2013

Hi, I have been making Labneh at home now for several years but I am becoming increasingly miffed at having to discard the whey that is produced. Do you have any ideas on how to use the whey, maybe in scones or other baking, The whey that comes off butter and cheese has uses so what can we do with Labneh whey because I can’t imagion the cultures that have produced the Labneh Cheese would discard something like the whey.
    Thanks
    Wendy from New Zealand

• Hello Wendy.
      and to make pizza and fatayer dough.
      You can also make this savory drink using the whey
      I hope you find these links helpful

• Wendy Riddel

/  January 31, 2013

Oops I have not been adding salt to my drained yoghurt, I tend not to use salt in my cooking and so tend to forget it.
        But thank you I will try using the whey (just threw out two batches worth of whey tonight, ratZ :) ) next time I do scones or date loaf.
        I have just made a labneh mousse recipe that I have adapted to form a cheesecake. I used New Zealand Rewa Rewa Honey as the sweetner and have made a coffee custard powder biscuit base. The top of the cheese cake is a coffee powder dusting with chocolate coated coffee beans coarsely chopped and sprinkled over.
        It is for a competition at our social club, so here is hoping…

• Best of luck Wendy, your creation sounds heavenly to say the least.

14. Karen Kerr

/  January 27, 2013

Hello Sawsan
    I made your labneh today – amazing! I added fennel seeds and I couldn’t be happier. I tied it in muslin and suspended it in the fridge all day (it is mid-Summer here in Queensland). The consistency is perfect and the flavour is perfect. I won’t use store-bought labneh again! I am so enjoying looking at your site for my next cooking day.

• Hello Karen

Thank you so much for the sweet comment.I am really happy the labneh turned out so well. I totally agree with you, once you taste home made labneh there is really no turning back

/  January 18, 2013

I made laban then labneh it didnt taste sour as my mom used to make it ! ( delicious ) with extra virgin olive oil !! ? please help , I like the sour labneh , thanks a million . mom only put salt and yugurt , nothing else .

• You need to leave the yogurt outside the fridge for a day or two four it to become tangy and sour, then use it to make labneh and it will be sour just like the one your mum used to make :)

16. So excited to find this recipe — just came back from Turkey and am craving this desperately — so relieved to see it is easy to make! I’m going to be following your blog — I love your recipes so far!

• Labneh is really easy and so versatile and once you make your own there is really no turning back :) I hope this labneh will be as good as the one you remember having in Turkey

17. Alan

/  January 12, 2013

Well I too am trying the balls today – been draining since yesterday – with the hope of including them onto little cold Mediteranean kebaba. Hope they’ll “stick”! Hold thumbs please..

• Sending wishes for good luck :) please let me know how it turns out

• Alan

/  January 21, 2013

It was a busy week but here’s some feedback finally: My (spiced) Labneh korat came out beautifully but were unfortunately not that successful as a cocktail kebab component due to there softness. After the party for which they had been made, I returned to the kitchen and dehydrated some left-over material I had put away – about another 16 x balls worth – for a further 3 days. It seems there is a limit as to how much whey can actually be extracted while uncovered in the refrigerator. Perhaps I’ll be a bit more aggressive on the initial mechanical “twisting” extraction next time around after about 24 hours.. Anyway, they’ve ended up preserved in olive oil awaiting another party soon(!) I can’t wait. Pics are available. Thanks once again for your blog. It’s really informative and enriching.

I would love to see the pictures.
        If you want the labneh to be firmer, you need to add a little more salt and to a weight to help extract more whey

18. Hi, beautiful post. I’ve grown up in Oman, so eaten labneh a lot. And I LOVE IT! Unfortunately, I haven’t come across it here in India yet and haven’t eaten it in 2 years! I will definitely be trying this out. Just a quick question – I want to make it as a dip to spread on pita bread and drizzle honey over it. So for how long should i refrigerate it?

• Hello Simran.
      I would say you can strain it for a couple of hours to get it to dip consistency. After that you can use it right away or store it in the fridge for about 10 days or two weeks

19. Keshet

/  December 19, 2012

Hi Saswan,
    My partner and I just returned back to Australia from Israel where alot of my time was spent in Yafo eating all of the amazing arabic foods!!!yum yum yum!!!! I have just made my second batch of labne thanks to your blog..wow!!!i made some labne balls and gave to a friend with the ‘you can store them for a couple months’ word of advice…she came back to me a week later saying…’I know you said we could store them for a couple months but, well my husband and I have finished them all’…:) keep up your amazing blog!!!

20. Mike

/  December 12, 2012

Hi Sawsan,
    If you recall yesterday I ” accidentally ” made labneh while attempting to make Greek yogurt but strained it too much. I went back & made a batch of the yogurt, which by following your directions came out great, So now I have both. I have a whole lot of dried basil from my summer garden and was thinking about a combination of Greek olive oil, basil & labneh balls in a jar. Is there a proper procedure to avoid stuff like botulism ? Thanks !

• Hello Mike,

I sure remember :) Congrats on making Greek yogurt. As for the labneh, I would suggest adding the basil when serving only. Dried herbs can be a source of contamination and you don’t want that. I would make labneh balls and cover them with oil and dried herbs only on the portion you serve. Dried oregano is brilliant with labneh and so is mint, basil and sumac if you have any.

• Mike

/  December 12, 2012

Okay sounds good. Don’t want to poison the family. Thanks again !

21. Nice blog, very helping indeed, I m fascinated with your simple explanation and your kind replies to all comments, impressive, I was wondering Sawsan, have you ever checked ladneh’s yield from 1 kilo of yogurt? I know there are many factors that influence the result, as an example the time you leave it to drain, but have you ever weighted the labneh’s yield?

• Hello Khalil,
      Thank you very much for your kind words
      sorry for the delayed reply. I wanted to reply with an answer to your question so I made Labneh out of a kg of yogurt and got 380 grams of labneh
      The amount of course depends on many factors as you mentioned. This yield came from 3 hours of straining and I used yogurt made out of cow’s milk

• I m glad with your reply, and I m also grateful that you have made the yield result investigation, you are definitely a resourceful lady, if you need any information on fish and crustaceans please let me know, thank you.

• I was just at your blog and I was amazed at the amount of information you have there. I will be back later today to read through your rich and informative blog :)

22. AJShah

/  October 17, 2012

Sawsan, thank you so much! I tried Labneh earlier, but didn’t know it was so simple to make. Had this with some spicy pita bread, and it was simply out of this world!

23. Donna Campton

/  September 10, 2012

I love labneh………….I rolled mine in sumac and some in dukhah…………I made the balls and placed them into a container and covered with olive oil……….delicious………do they have to be in a glass jar or can it be a plastic container? Many thanks :) Donna

• Hello Donna
      I am so glad you enjoyed labneh :)
      You can store it in a plastic container if it is for a short time. If you plan on storing it for months I would rather you use glass because olive oil taste remains at its best in glass container

24. Kathy

/  September 5, 2012

My husband is very salt sensitive. Will this work without adding salt if I am using non-fat plain Greek yoghurt?

/  August 30, 2012

I found your blog quite by accident and I love the way you explain things. Thanks for sharing. I just wanted to let you know that I just made this following your instructions. Thanks, Madhu from India

26. This definitely looks like a cheese that a non-cheesemaker can handle. My sister makes all sorts of cheese which need some skill and I am envious of her cheese-filled fridge. I love soft cheese like this one so I must try it.

• Hello Suzanne, you are right labneh is a very easy cheese to make, it lasts for a long time and tastes amazing. I do hope to hear what you think of it when you give it a try

27. beginsatsundown

/  May 17, 2012

I am so excited about this post!!!

28. I’ve made labneh before, it didn’t look as pretty as yours though, maybe I’ll try again, I want to make my own Z’atar aswell. What is that coming soon? I’ve never heard of that cheese, intriguing!!

• Hello Natalie, maybe it was the kind of yogurt you used, for the best labneh use goat milk yogurt
      As for the zaatar, I will do my best to post a recipe for it soon :)

29. YES IT IS OKAY TO ADD THE OTHER PART. THX.

/  May 14, 2012

Oh Sawson the cheese and all of its uses look absolutely delicious! Thank you for sharing all the many wonderful things you can do with this cheese as well as the idea of storing it in oil. I love that! Your pictures and post have inspired me to do this! Thanks!

31. This is new to me, but looks delightful!

• You are not alone Ashley, Labneh is known only in a few countries in the middle east but it is a wonderful appetizer/dip/spread. I hope you’ll give it a go

32. What pretty photos.. I’ve never eaten Labneh, I’m thinking I would want to start with the yogurt balls first:) It’s always so interesting to see the new unique foods cooking up in your kitchen, Sawsan!

33. It all looks so beautiful! I often make the cheese from yogurt but never the balls in olive oil. These sound amazing and I will be making them very soon!

34. These look wonderful. We made some strained yogurt for a soup awhile back and it was wonderful. This takes it a step further.

35. Thanks for the tip about the sheet for photography — I’ll have to try it: photos next to my windows have had too much glare — I like to tape my paintings to a white outside wall on a lightly overcast day, but the weather does not often cooperate. I have never heard of making labneh into balls before, and I appreciate the serving suggestions.

• You are most welcome, a white sheet really helps reduce the glare and if you still have too much light you can use black fabric or board on the opposite side of the light source to prevent too much light from bouncing back into the image

36. I make yogurt cheese regularly for dips and to lighten up hors d’œuvres. In fact, I have made a cheese cake of it in the past and it worked very well. I am intrigued about the balls, I shall have to try them, I adore the taste of stander yogurt cheese and I think I would love this adaptation. Thank you again for a recipe that will become a staple in my home!

37. Nami | Just One Cookbook

/  May 13, 2012

It’s so interesting. Just yogurt and salt and you can make these? I’ve never tried it before but it was very fun learning a new technique from you!! You take delicious photography all the time. Happy Mother’s Day Sawsan!

• I know it sounds so simple but the straining transforms yogurt into something really interesting and the fact that you can add any flavorings you like makes this a healthy dip choice
      Happy mother’s day to you too Nami, I hope you had a great one

38. Happy Mothers Day to you! I would love to try this recipe. Actually sounds like such a healthy recipe and so dynamic you could make it savory or sweet. Endless possibilities.

39. You photographs are stunning! Do you use natural light or artificial ? Looks greats!

40. Oh my, this looks divine. You always out do yourself Sawsan. Have a very happy Mother’s Day filled with love. Take care and put your feet up.

41. I feel like I’ve eaten labneh before. I’m not sure where or when, but I really think I might have. It looks delicious and I love that you can flavor it however you like. Are you girls about to wrap up school for summer too?

• Hello Kristy, my daughter will wrap up school in the first week of June (I am counting days here). My son will be 3 in June and he doesn’t go to school yet but he is counting days for his sister to finish too :)
      I love labneh and I am never without some labneh be it balls or dip. I hope you’ll give this a try and maybe the taste will refresh your memory :)

• My apologies Sawsan for some reason I had it in my head you had two girls. Now that I think about it, I knew you had a boy and girl. ;) We finish up for the summer around the same time. I too am looking forward to it. (Especially after the first week or two of adjustment time anyway!). :)

• No apology required Kristy :)
        We are already making plans for summer break, swim lessons and maybe a trip. I personally look forward to days without exams and school runs :)
        I look forward to reading all about Miss A and Mr N’s summer adventures

42. Oh my god, Sawsan… the past few recipes have been absolutely beyond amazing… sorry I haven’t been commenting, but uni work is soooo much!

And now since 2 years ago I’ve wanted a recipe for Nabulsi cheese so that I can make Nabulseeyah at home! Thank you, darling… I love youuuuu :D

• Hello Fati :) I have missed your sweet comments, good luck with the university and I hope you’ll pass with flying colors
      Nabulsi cheese is coming up next week,I hope you’ll enjoy it :)

43. huda

/  May 13, 2012

THank you, this is really delicious , I usually mix millk with half and half or whipping cream when making yogurt, so the labneh comes so tasty. Now, I am eagerly waiting for your jebneh but does it work with pasteurized milk?
    take care,

• Hello Huda, mixing milk and half and half is a great idea. I usually make it with yogurt made from fresh goat milk which is very rich and it comes out beautifully creamy. Jebneh is made with fresh milk, that is why you can’t eat it till you boil it

44. I think you might have meant that it is a staple on any breakfast menu… Just letting you know, and I think I might have to try this.

45. Ohhhh my goodness! I can do this, all the way in Mississippi. Thank you for this delightful and easy post to a long-time favorite I never thought was simple enough to do myself.

46. These cheese dumplings look fantastic :D
    I am a huge fan of homemade cheese :)

47. Michele

/  May 13, 2012

Thank you for reminding me to make this wonderful recipe! Because it is something my grandmother made for me as a child I relish the memory and the flavor! My mouth is watering…ohhhh with olives, za’tar and kibbi…what a wonderful mothers day!

48. Oh yes, Labneh, love it… I always order Labneh dip in one of my favourite Lebanese restaurants, but have never tried to make it myself! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe Sawsan, I will try it soon! Btw, the Labneh korat balls are a fantastic idea, I doubt these would last for several months in our house :)

49. This looks incredibly good!!!!

50. Very very interesting Sawsan. I will try this soon:)

51. So simple and so versatile. Count me in !

52. Shereen Samir

/  May 12, 2012

very nice and practical , thank you, my son loves labnah and it’s Turkish and quite expensive…I will home-make it In Sha Allah…..but could u give me a hint about the ((cheese cloth?))

• Hello Shereen, instead of cheese cloth use any fabric you have that has fine weave, you want a fabric with very fine holes to allow only the yogurt to pass through but not the labneh. If you can’t find any try coffee filters they may do the job

53. O MY CUPCAKES!! HAVE TO WRITE BIG I DO..THIS IS AMAZING. NEVER EVEN HEARD OF IT..MY GURLS, AND GUYS WILL LOVE IT..U R THE HOMEMADE LABNEH KING, 4 EVER AND A DAY. BLESSINGS..WOW THIS IS DEFINITELY A MUST FOR ANY BREAKFAST. THX.

54. I learn so much from your blog! I’ve always wanted to make this type of yogurt cheese, but for one reason or another postponed it. We eat A LOT of yogurt, I don’t think a day goes by without us having a huge bowl, usually plain (for me), or with fruit (for my husband).

I love the idea of making the cheese balls and go a more savory route with the yogurt

beautiful photos too, as usual…

1. Persian Springtime Stew | Optimal Edibles
  2. Creamy citrus and poppy seeds salad dressing | Chef in disguise
  3. Sourdough pancakes | Chef in disguise
  4. Healthy cheesecake recipe, no baking and no eggs | Chef in disguise
  5. Hostie posts
  6. School lunch tips and ideas | Chef in disguise
  7. How to make mozzarella and armenian string cheese at home | Chef in disguise
  8. Homemade cheese – Daring cooks March challenge | Chef in disguise
  9. Healthy breakfast idea #1 carrot cake oatmeal « Chef in disguise
  10. Labeneh: Greek Yogurt’s Cooler Cousin | Tayim Labeneh: Greek Yogurt’s Cooler Cousin | recipes, travel and other fun stuff
  11. Yoghurt Cheese – Labneh, a Great Beginning to Thanksgiving