Salsa anyone ?

Mexican is one of my favorite cuisines. I love everything about it, the colors, the flavors and the versatility.

One of my favorite side dishes to make when I am serving fajita (and I don’t have any avocados to make guacamole)  is this colorful salsa. The garlic in the background sets the tone while the corn and beans adds texture, the parsley adds color and freshness and the lemon juice ties the whole thing together.I usually add a chopped red onion to the salsa but on this particular day I didn’t have any and it still tasted great. If you are not big on garlic a little trick you can do to get a little garlic taste in your salsa but not too much is to rub your cutting board with a clove before you chop the tomatoes, this will infuse the salsa with a mild garlic taste without an garlic being actually in it.

Before I leave with the recipe I would like to thank sweet Manu from Manu’s Menu for passing me the versatile blogger award.

Manu is probably one of the sweetest and most considerate people I have ever “met”. She always has something positive and encouraging to say and has a passion for life and food blogging that never fails to put a smile on my face.Her blog is one I visit regularly for inspiration, great photography and wonderful Italian recipes. She is a fellow daring cook too :)Please take the time to visit Manu and tell her I said hi :)

The award comes with 2 conditions,pass it on to other wonderful bloggers and share 7 things the readers  don’t know about you. Although I have already shared 7  things you don’t know about me  here , but today I thought 7 more won’t hurt lol.

1. I was born in october, maybe that is why I find autumn, apples and cloudy mornings comforting.

2. My name “Sawsan” is arabic for the name of the iris flower.

3. I am a very harsh critic when it comes to my own work, you can call me a perfectionist but sometimes I can go over board.

4. I love tea, Morrocan mint green tea is my favorite nowadays.

5. I love drawing, here are a couple of my old sketches. I say old because it has been sometime since I last drew something

6. I am a great listener at least that is what my family and friends tell me

7. I find talking about myself and writing these lists very hard

I am passing this award to the following amazing bloggers

Deelicious sweets

a healthy jalapeno

sumptuous spoonfulls

Mayree’s deep south cakery with a side of life

cooking with Mel

1 cup  canned red beans rinsed

2/3 cup corn

2 tomatoes chopped

1 red onion chopped

1 clove of garlic minced

Small bunch of parsely

Juice of 1 lemon (you can use only half is you don’t want the lemon taste to stand out)

2-3 tablespoons olive oil

Salt

Directions

Mix the corn,beans, tomatoes, onion, garlic and parsely.

Add the olive oil, lemon juice and salt.

Toss to combine

كوب الفاصوليا الحمراء المعلبة

ثلثين كوب من الذرة

اثنان من الطماطم مقطعة

1 بصله حمراء مفرومه

فص من الثوم

باقة من البقدونس الصغيرة

عصير لمونه او  نصف ليمونه ان لم تحب الحموضه

ملعقتين الى ثلاث طعام من زيت الزيتون

ملح

اتجاهات

1. I could eat a bowl of this just on its own…looks so fresh and tasty! Thanks for sharing more about yourself…wow, an artist too, most impressive! And love that you told us what your name means – how very beautiful. Thanks for sharing Sawsan :)

• You are always too kind Tanya..I can totally eat a bowl of this..I actually have done that before lol

• Mmm, very tastey and fresh salsa, thank you Sawsan.
        You know what, I’m not surprised with your drawings since I know that your photoshop designs you used to make in laki were really wonderful, so it make since you are a good painter too.
        I also have something to add to your personality, if you would let me please, you have a great personality Sawsan and you’ll never hesitate to answer any help or request, ma shaa allah, so thank you, thank you, thank you.

• You know Samah I am still tempted to call you Zahra sometimes :)
        Thank you so much for your kind words..the same applies to you..you are always very helpful and giving and greatly talented mashalla

2. I love this kind of item. Either to scoop up with chips or on top of some grille salmon or chicken

3. I love salsa.. and I still have tomatoes in the garden. how lovely to learn more about you and your drawings are so alive! c

4. Thank you so much for passing this award on to me! Your drawings are so good! I find people extremely hard to draw so I am always impressed by those who do it well. Congrats on your award! Well deserved. This recipe looks great. We love salsa!

5. Congrats on the award, well deserved. Good picks to pass it onto too! Love the salsa!

6. I never thought of putting beans in salsa. Looks amazing!
    Nice to learn allt hose new things about you!

7. What a gorgeous salsa…so colorful! Congrats on the award, and you passed it on to some fantastic bloggers, some of which I don’t know. Look forward to checking them out. Thanks again for the FB shout out today. :) xx

8. Thank you for passing on the award Sawsan! :) And congratulations on receiving it. :) I love salsas as well. This looks like a great version. The last several I have made have been very summer oriented, but this one would work well in the fall too. And for us – the more garlic the better. Yum!

9. I adore Mexican food too — they say you eat with your eyes first, and Mexican cuisine is sure a testament to that. Also, it helps that I LOVE cilantro!

10. Wow, Sawsan! Aside from being a good cook, you have another artistic talent. I am very impressed! Thank you for adding my name on your list for “The Versatile Blogger” award. I feel very honored! :)

11. Wow! This looks so good and refreshing! Plus … I have a weakness for salsa :)

12. I love your recipe for a bean and corn salsa. I just did a post on Mexican Meatloaf and this would go so well with it. We are both in a Mexican frame of mind.

13. Sounds like a nice combo.

14. thank you so much for the honour! and for sharing more about you with us :)

15. Why yes please. I will take some salsa and chips please! This looks insane! Love all the colors and flavors! My hubby is one salsa freak

16. Congratulations on your award:) Blush… and thanks so much for nominating me for this award. I enjoyed reading 7 new things about you:)

17. Love the alterative salsa recipe, as it reminds me to think outside of the box once in a while. :-)

Also I’m completely flattered to be included on your list for the versatile blogger award. Thank you so much!!!

Have a wonderful weekend.

• You know I think this is the best part about cooking a cuisine that is new to you..there will be a lot of room for creativity
      Congratulatios on your award :) very well deserved

18. Always fun to learn about about people! You have wonderful drawings! Hard to fit in that with work, blogging, family, and everything – but keep it up they are great!

19. A very well deserved award….You are amazing…I do too absolutely love Mexican Food. This salsa looks BUENISIMA!!! I am totally flattered and honored to be included in your list!!! OMG…many many thanks!!!!

• Thank you kindly for your sweet words..and you totally deserve the award..you are a very talented blogger and photographer and I love your blog

20. What a hearty salsa! I love that it has both beans & corn. Thank you so much for passing me the Versatile Blogger Award. That was very kind of you, as was your mentioning my blog on Facebook. (I am very new to Facebook and have yet to learn its ins-and-outs.) Again, thank you very much.

• It takes sometime to learn the ins and outs of facebook but once you do you’ll love it..it is a great way to interact with your readers and other bloggers
      As for the award..no thanks required..you are a talented blogger with an amazing blog..you totally deserve it

21. Hi Sawsan! Your “perfectionist” work is easily seen on your blog, your beautiful food and photography, and even drawing!!! ;-) I love salsa that has beans in it. It’s a great side dish not just a dip. Congrats on the award and now you made me very curious about Moroccan mint tea.. I love tea too!

22. What a hearty, colourful salsa, love that you add kidney beans to it! I love mexican food as well! Your drawings are beautiful, so alive, and it would be wonderful if you give us a chance to see more of your works!
    Congratulations on your Award! Well deserved!

PS. Moroccan mint tea sounds yum! :)

23. Hey Sawsan! Let me summarize that for you — you’re an orthodontist, an awesome cook, an excellent food photographer and has a hand on fine arts.Is there anything else you couldn’t do? You are a very talented and such an inspiration to the foodie universe. You didn’t say exactly when your birthday will be on October so I’m just gonna greet you in advance… Happy Birthday :)

• Karen..I really don’t know what to say..I am at a loss for words for your kindness..Thank you for the birthday wishes..mine is one the first of October :)

24. Oh gosh thank you! You are so sweet! Funny I was just looking at Moroccan Mint tea today at the store … I went to get chai and they were out of my favorites! Next time I will have to pick some up. I love mint in tea :)

25. Thank you so much for the award!! You are so sweet!!! Now for that salsa – I am not a huge fan of beans, but I LOVE the rest of the flavors!! Do you have any suggestions for what I could substitute?! Thank you again for the thinking about me & sharing the award!! Happy Sunday! :)

26. Thank you for the award! That’s made my day. :) You’re a very well earned recipient of the award yourself. And your sketchers above are really fantastic, I hope you’re still pursuing it. And now, wouldn’t you know, I’m off to make guacamole with the recipe you linked to above. Well timed!!

27. bakingdevils

/  September 27, 2011

I love the idea of adding beans to the salsa…makes a complete dish…I could happily have that for lunch and I love Moroccan mint tea….totally refreshing…

-Shilpa

28. Thank you SO much for the award!! And I totally get the perfectionist thing – you’ve described me to a T. :)

29. I cannot thank you enough for this award, this has been an amazing journey, sometimes we need special souls to show us what we are missing, and I have met some truly amazing bloggers since having been given this award from you my dear sweet friend. I would not have known except for you! You and I have at least one more thing in common… I love your sketches, they are beautiful, I love doing my watercolors (more than cooking!), my little hummingbird that I use for my profile is one of my little watercolors, and I love mini watercolors. Each year I send during the holidays at the end and beginning of the year a card a hummingbird card that can be used year round. They seem to be very popular. If I had your address I would love to send you one! Again, thank you it takes a special person to show others that there are different paths in the life that can bring wonders into one’s life….RaeDi

My mother if feeling better and I can get back to a normal life again, just need to catch up now! Again thank you for the truly amazing gift!

• RaeDi ..I really can’t tell you how touch I am by you calling me a dear friend..thank you :)
      I was actually wondering about your profile picture,it is so delicate and beautiful..I expected it to be your work especially after seeing your pictures..they are clearly ones caught by the eye of an artist..
      Thank you so much for your kind offer, I would love to recieve one of your cards, but I don’t want to burden you or put you through too much trouble sending it all the way to Jordan
      I am really glad your mum is better :)
      Thank you for your comment and it is truely an honor for me to know someone like you, to call them “my dear friend” and to be able to bring you joy with something as simple as an award..you deserve much more :)

1. The Versatile Blogger Award – take two | Lavender and Lime