Tandoori chicken with home made garam masala spice mix

I posted a few pictures of the recipes I have lined up on facebook and asked the wonderful fans to choose which recipe they would like to see next on the blog. The results were a close call between Tandoori chicken and aromatherapy bread :).

There was a time when the mere mention of indian food would have sent me running in the opposite direction but not any more. Ever since I started blogging and following other wonderful food bloggers I have discovered that indian food is not the greasy,” pass on the water my mouth is burning” hot and spicy food. It is a cuisine full of amazing recipes to explore and enjoy. I decided to be courageous and try a few recipes which have turned out to be pleasant surprises.

Tandoori chicken was one of those experiments that turned into a regular in my rotation of recipes.This time I served it with some  raita salad and naan bread that vanished before I could take a picture of it. You can also serve tandoori chicken with some cabbage vegetable rice  or appam instead of the naan.

Before we get to the recipe, just wanted to remind you that you have until tomorrow to enter the giveaway :)

Grilled Tandoori chicken

1 whole chicken cut into 8 pieces, skin removed

For the marinade

1/2 cup greek yogurt

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger

2 cloves garlic

1 teaspoon sugar

1 teaspoon paprika

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon ground coriander

1/2 teaspoon turmeric

1 teaspoon salt

1 table spoon garam masala

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (if you like it hot)

Garam masala spices mix

(recipe  adapted from Kankans’a wonderful sunshine and smile blog)

1/2 tablespoon ground coriander

1/2 tablespoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground bay leaves

1 tablespoon ground cloves

1 tablespoon ground fennel seeds

Directions

Prepare the garam masala by mixing all the spices until combined.

Mix all the marinade ingredients in a bowl then add the chicken and marinate for 3 hours or over night in the fridge

Grill the chicken, pasting regularly with the reserved marinade until it is done.

If you are making Tandoori chicken in the oven

Heat a little oil in a pot and sear the chicken pieces until golden brown on both sides.

Finish cooking the tandoori chicken in a preheated oven (200 C) until the chicken is done (You can tell by inserting a knife in the chicken and the  juices run clear)

Previous Post

1. Sawsan, this is what I call effective-beautiful shot of food because as soon as I saw it, my stomach suddenly felt hunger and craving for chicken. Good job!

~ ray ~

2. Another winner!! Loving all your great chicken dishes. xx

3. Tandoori chicken has so many wonderful flavours. Yours looks fabulous.
    Have a happy weekend. :-) Mandy

4. I´d have voted for the chicken too as am totally addciated to anything curry flavoured. And it looks amazing! Mind you, am now intrigued by the concept of aromatherapy bread…do we get to see that one too soon?

5. …addicted of course…not addciated. Was overcome with excitement re the tandoori chicken!

6. I have never tried Tandoori chicken before, but it looks awesome! Love the home made garam masala!

7. I absolutely LOVE tandoori chicken, I will try this one for sure.. and very pretty pics too c

8. My vote would have gone to this tandoori chicken too, it sounds fabulous!! Great photos too…as always. :)

9. I love Tandoori chicken. You are so right about exploring the many facets of Indian cuisine and I enjoy exploring them

10. I can see why this is a regular. It looks really good!

11. I have this on our list to make! Glad to hear you enjoyed it. And I’m with you, it’s amazing the types of food that blogging opens you up to – for me it was Chinese food.

12. Eva Taylor

/  August 26, 2011

I love ‘happy food’ (Indian). I make my own gram masala too! I’d forgotten how yummy tandoori chicken can be. Great photos!

13. Sawsan,

Awesome dish. It looks so delicious. I’m a sucker for anything with citrus on it. Bravo on an awesome recipe. Just wanted to let you know that we have included this photo in our food duels. Keep the delicious recipes coming!!

Christine

PS: is it “garam masala” versus “gram masala”?
    PS: Looks like you may have listed cumin twice :)

• Thank you Christine for your kind words and for catching the double ingredients and the spelling
      I really appreciate you including my photos in the food duos..thank you so much

14. Both of these recipes are top favourites for me! Had I chosen, it would have been the aromatherapy bread :)

15. Yum! This looks wonderful!

16. Sometimes there simply isn’t anything better than tandoori chicken with fresh naan and raita. :-)

17. I LOOOOVE Tandori chicken! I also thought Indian food was spicy food too before I met my good Indian friend who cooks for me once in a while. My kids love her Tandori chicken and ever since I’ve been trying a lot of Tandori recipes. I’m going to keep this and try next time! You totally make everyone crave for this delicious chicken!!! I’m drooling already!

• I can’t wait to hear what you think of it when you do try it Nami
      and you know I surprised that the kids loved it..I thought it would be too spicy for them

18. That chicken is so deliciuos. I just love the fact that you put yogurt in the marinade sincve it not only adds flavour, but it makes the meat more tender. The grilling is just fantastic!

19. Argh, am traveling and haven’t cooked in a whole week. I want to make these now and am in a hotel! They have a grill out back surely they wouldn’t mind if I fired it up.

• I hope you guys will have a safe trip and I’, sure they won’t mind if you fire up the grill…they may just offer you the chef’s position

20. I love making my own garam masala mix, I do it in batches so I have it to add a pinch to this or that! The chicken looks delicious!

21. How did I miss this recipe? I was looking for something to make tonight and this will be it. Thanks!

1. Tandoori chicken salad « Chef in disguise