Cauliflower fritters “mshat”

Would you like to see more middle eastern recipes on chef in disguise?

I posed this question on my facebook page and now I am asking you, my dear readers.

As you may or may not know I live in Jordan, one of the levant countries (countries bordering on the eastern Mediterranean Sea). That is why you may have noticed that I use a lot of olive oil, fresh herbs,vegetables  and spices  in my cooking.

The middle eastern cuisine is rich and diverse and though some recipes like hummus, baklava,shawerma and tabbouleh have become known worldwide, there are still many wonderful recipes worth trying and exploring.

I’m not suggesting that from now on I will only blog about middle eastern food, I am just asking if you would be interested in seeing some more middle eastern recipes here…maybe like once a week or every other week?

These cauliflower fritters are high on my favorite list. I know what you are thinking..cauliflower! you have to be kidding! You were just talking about exciting and refreshing recipes why start with good old boring cauliflower?

Well the answer is simple, this is an example of how a recipe can transform an ingredient from boring to sensational. These fritters hide under their golden crust a feast of flavors. The batter contains mint, parsley, cumin, cardamom, all spice, cinnamon, onions and green onions.. together they form a true symphony of flavors that will cause your taste buds to dance. Don’t believe me?

Try making these, at first you will skeptically try one, pleasantly surprised yet still curious comes another, then another and before you know it the plate will be empty :)

Cauliflower fritters

One small head of cauliflower or half a large one

6 eggs

2 tablespoons of powdered milk (optional)

1 punch of parsley (around 1 lightly packed cup)

Handful of mint

one medium onion

one green onion

1 teaspoon cumin

1/2 teaspoon all spice

1/2 teaspoon cardamom

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup of flour (the amount may vary according to the size of the eggs.You need to add enough flour to get a thick batter)

1 teaspoon baking powder

Cut the cauliflower into flowerets and place them in a pot filled with water, bring them to a boil and cook until you can insert a fork in them (You don’t want to over cook them or they will become soggy and the fritters won’t have texture in them)

Drain,set aside (you can do this a day or two in advance and store them in the fridge)

In the food processor beat the eggs untill pale

Add the mint, parsley, onions (white and green) and pulse untill the herbs and onions are finely chopped.

Add the spices, salt, flour and the powdered milk beat untill combined.

Break your flowerets into small pieces and stir them into the batter

Heat about an inch (2.5 cm) of vegetable oil in a pan.

When the oil is hot drop dollops of 1-2 tablespoon of your cauliflower batter in the hot oil.

Keep your fritters a little apart because they will spread slightly and you don’t want them to fuse together (until you are aiming to make a giant fritter)

using a spoon take some of the oil and pour it on top of the fritters (This will start cooking the tops of the fritters and that prevents them from spreading too much)

When the bottom becomes golden brown flip the fritters and cook them on the other side (as you can see I like mine deep golden brown but feel free to cook them to your desired color)

Serve with a squeeze of lemon. Enjoy!

Note as with all fried food you don’t want the oil to be too hot because that will cook the outside of the fritter too quickly and the centers will still be undercooked. Keep the oil on medium high heat and once you flip the fritters lower the heat a little to give them a chance to cook all the way through.

1. Grace Teng

/  January 10, 2014

Thank you for this wonderful recipe – it took me a few days (and a failed attempt to make mshat on my own) to land on your site! This time, it worked and the fritters taste delicious. All the best from Canada :)

2. Marhaba, Sawsan

I like mshat a lot. You make it just the way my mother does and she’s a great cook. Your blog is beautiful!

/  May 24, 2013

I Love you and your recipes. I dont like eggs. is there anything else to use instead of eggs?

• Thank you kindly for the kind comment
      I am sorry but it would be hard to make this recipe without the eggs but you really can’t taste the eggs here with all the herbs and spices

4. I love fritters of all forms especially thin sliced veggies or grated veggies. These look delicious :)

5. I know people say cauliflower is boring but I actually like it. I love how you’ve used it in this fritters. These would have sensational flavour. And yes, I would love to see more recipes from your part of the world xx

6. These are amazing! I saved and pinned this to try soon! I love Middle Eastern cuisine and love what you have here.

7. These are so tasty!!! I bet would be wonderful with some sweet chilli sauce :D
    Great post!

Latest: Two Twix Fudgy ‘Whities’

8. I absolutely love cauliflower, and my husband thinks he doesn’t like it. But I’ll bet if he had some of these fritters he would get a big surprise and discover how good it is! They look delicious!

9. zeki

/  October 25, 2011

truly delicious..thank you again!
    the only thing I didnt do was add the milk as it was optional, whats the difference in adding it? I know some people thin the batter if needed with water.

10. zeki

/  October 23, 2011

wow, these were utterly delicious,I followed your recipe , truly the best mshat I ever had!!!,perfect texture and crunch,fluffy,not greasy,aromatic and full of flavor,..thank you so much for posting this exquisite Palestinian/Jordanian specialty

11. J’aime vraiment votre article. J’ai essaye de trouver de nombreux en ligne et trouver le v?tre pour être la meilleure de toutes.

Mon francais n’est pas tres bon, je suis de l’Allemagne.

Mon blog:
    regroupement de credit ou sos Rachat de credit

12. Those cauliflower fritters look amazing!

13. Dua

/  July 17, 2011

made it today! never used baking powder before!made a difference,also adding more flour,thanks for the tip,it is perfect!

• Thank you so much for the feedback Dua..
      this is the way my mum makes it..
      the baking powder makes it light on the inside and crispy on the outside

14. Oh, these look incredible! I love zucchini fritters and corn fritters, so why not? This sounds so wonderful and full of flavor…I can’t resist these beauties!

15. Yes, I love middle eastern flavors!
    These look great- And I just fried up a batch of cauliflower myself, too. Very different spicing though, so I could always go for more… ;)

16. I would definitely love more Middle Eastern recipes. These cauliflower fritters are similar to ones I made last week from my new favourite cookbook, Ottolenghi! I think that the Middle East has some of the best vegetarian recipes in the world, every one I have tried I have loved, so keep them coming!! :D

• Thank you so much for the encouragment..there are ALOT of middle eastern vegeteranian dishes..there is a whole category called olive oil dishes..I hope you’ll like the coming recipes

17. I love that fritters are supposed to look mishaped and not perfect! That is what makes them fritters. These are the BOMB! I love anything fried (of course) but cauliflower? It sounds too good to be true! I can’t wait to try them out

• Yes! no pressure to get perfect little bites..their beauty is in their mishape..
      thank you so much for your comment and follow up

18. I LOVE cauliflower fritters! My mom used to make something similar (but with different herbs/spices) when I was a child and I used to LOVE them. I enjoy so much reading middle eastern recipes… the remind me of the Mediterranean area and I think many recipes/ingredients have a connection with Southern Italy! So bring it on, I’d love to learn more!!! :-)

19. I didn’t know cauliflowers are not that popular until I start reading other blogs. That’s one of my favorite veggie… maybe I’m strange? But your fritters look DELICIOUS! I always appreciate more cauliflower recipes (maybe not popular so I don’t see many). So big thanks to you. As for the Mediterranean food, I’d love it if you featured more. It’s always fun to know what you are eating, and it’s going to be even more fun if you cook and showed us (instead of finding it out at a restaurant etc). So please, please show more!

• Thank you so much Nami, I like cauliflower too and cook it in many many ways..I really hope you’ll like and maybe try some mediteranian recipes..looking forward to your feedback

20. These fritters look amazing. I actually grew up in Saudi Arabia and I miss the food, so I would definitely look forward to more Middle Eastern recipes.

21. oh wow .. i love cauliflower fritters .. They make cauliflower a star ! :)

22. and yes – more middle eastern recipes – would love it! middle eastern food is wonderful!

23. No – I did not know you live in Jordan. I am SOOO glad i do now. I would love to visit. Please keep telling us more!

24. aw it makes me humgry

25. I would love to see more middle eastern recipes, as they’re always so unique! They inspire me to step outside of my comfort zone. These fried fritters look amazing. But, what’s not to love about fried food? :)

• :) maybe the calories hehehe but we will forget about those for now..
      thank you for the encouragement Caroline

26. I told you already on FB, but will do it again here: I would love to learn more about Middle Eastern recipes! Beside Hummus, Tabbouleh & Baklava there are not so many dishes I had the chance to taste (yet :D). So, I am really looking forward to your recipes!!! The cauliflower fritters look so tasty, I can imagine that the combination of mint, parsley, onions and various spices causes a taste explosion! :)

• Thank you so much Tanja..You are always too kind..
      There is so much more than hummus and Tabbouleh…stay tuned and I rally hope you will like what is to come

27. Yes pleases, yes please!! And I love cauliflower fritters. have never done them exactly like this, but they look amazing and I know I´ll enjoy them.

28. I love Middleastern food! It tastes so good and it’s good for us. I vote yes. :)

29. Truth is I realllly don’t like fried cauliflower….you probably know the “maqaalee” days they have, fried eggplant, fried cauliflower, fried potato, lots of garlic, lots of salad, and lots of sandwich making…. It’s those days that I really don’t like…

Battering the cauliflower might just be the hidden secret for my unhappy maqaalee days to turn into one I look forward to. Thanks for sharing this, really want to try it when the maqaalee thing pops up again… :)

• Hello Fati…I know what you mean…but I promise this is entirely different…give it a try and I really hope it will change your mind

30. I would love some more Middle Eastern recipes! We’ve covered Egypt and Libya so far on our cooking adventures and both were a hit. My best friend recently vacationed in Jordan and brought us back a bottle of wine to have when we make it our international pick. I’m so excited to know that’s where you are…now I know who to consult for recipes! :)

• It would be my pleasure to help you with anything you need..
      Thank you for your support for the idea of more middle eastern dishes..I really hope you’ll like what’s coming

31. Wow these look incredible! I love cauliflower and your use of herbs and spices go so well together, I bet this tasted amazing :)

32. All for any recipes you want to give. Love reading and trying all sorts of new food. These look great!

33. Very nice. I say you transformed cauliflower into a master piece. I can see how all the flavors can combine nicely. Yummy!

34. I have made deep fried cauliflower fritters before but very plainly seasoned. I love the blend of seasoning in this. I would love to see more cuisine from your part of the world.

35. I love to read about food from different cultures. You have a wonderful blog and I enjoy reading all your posts

36. Oh wow, I would’ve never thought of cauliflower fritters! With all the spices that go into them, they sound really flavourful and delish :)

37. Yes, I would! Pretty please. I’m not as familiar with the cuisine so it’ll help me broaden my culinary horizons. Great fritters.

1. 2011 round up « Chef in disguise