Eggplant humus sandwich

We have a new addition to the family. In fact two additions and no I was not pregnant with twins and keeping it from you.

We got the kids their first pets..a pair of love birds.

The kids are glued next to the cage monitoring the birds every move.

Muuuuuuuuum they ate

Muuuuuuuuum they are drinking water

Muuuuuuuuum they are playing on the swing

Muuuuuuuuuum I think they are good friends

Muuuuuuuuum I think the girl hates the boy

Muuuuuuuuuum can I teach them how to fly

Muuuuuuuuuum can I give them more food

Muuuuuuuuum is really hoping the enthusiasm will fade out in the next few days!

Today’s recipe might sound  strange but trust me it is a pleasant surprise for the taste buds. I was sceptical about the combination at first but after the first bite all the scepticism evaporated.

The humus provided a background for the other flavors. It paired beautifully with the eggplant. The feta add saltness that was balanced by the juicy tomatoes. The lettuce adds the crunch and the mint is a blast of freshness…all my requirements for a yummy sandwich checked :)

I have had this recipe for a long time, I sadly can’t remember where I got it from.

2 slices of toast

2 slices fried or grilled eggplant

Some crumbled feta cheese

a few springs of fresh mint

a lettuce leaf

a couple of slices of tomato

humus

Toast your bread slices

Spread some humus on the toast

Layer the eggplant slices followed by the crumbled feta and then the mint, tomatoes and lettuce

Dive in and enjoy

1. Was this your master plan to keep them from the magnets? This sandwich looks just wonderful. I love grilled eggplant and the rest of the ingredients on the list.

2. That looks like the perfect lunch!

3. That sandwich sounds perfect. Love the hummus instead of a spread like mayo.
    What did you name the birds?
    LL

4. I loved the comments about the birds! Now, do the kids love this sandwich? Please tell me yes and my faith will be restored. :)

Nothing better than a great sandwich when you’re hungry. This looks really good. I love all those ingredients but I’ve never put them in a sammy.

• The kids actulaay love humus and anything with humus in it is welcome in their book
      I hope you’d give this a go and let me know what you think

5. bakingdevils

/  June 20, 2011

Oh! What a brilliant combination.. love eggplant, love hummus, love tomatoes…tomorrow’s lunch…beautiful flavours…thanks for sharing…

-Shilpa

6. Aaah, I bet the children are so happy with their new playmates! And I bet the fascination will stay for a while. I love eggplant and never thought of putting it into a sandwich. Duh! It´s a great idea and this looks scrummy…

• They are super excited and I am happy with that
      I love putting eggplant in sandwiches..with some cheese and oregano…with some sunac..mmmm yummy

7. Looks like a hearty sandwich! I love sandwiches that are piled high of yummy stuff!

8. I adore hummus! I think I’ll make some for lunch :) Your kids are sooo cute! Don’t you love what they say :)

9. I don’t think this sounds strange at all! Love hummus on anything, and sounds like it would pair wonderfully with eggplant.

10. Haha, I thought you are having a baby when I read first line but you already said no in second line. Fast! Birds!!! My kids have been bothering us to have a pet, especially doggie, but I’m pretty sure the new doggie will be my 3rd child and I don’t have time and energy left after still taking care of 2 small kids! How about birds? Easy to take care of? I assume lots of cleanup…right? On to food… I love hummus and eggplant so I thought it’s a great combo when I saw the title. Looks delicious!

• You are right..I clean the cage 2-3 times aday but so far it is ok and the kids are having so much fun…I think a dog will be more work..train it and walk it and stuff
      Thank you for your sweet comment about the sandwich

11. haha…when I was little, my parents got my brother and I hermit crabs. Who know that they could be so fascinating?! I’m glad to hear that birds are just as cool.

I am loving the eggplants-hummus combo :)

12. Your sandwich looks delicious. Post some photos of the birds!

13. Aww…. Love birds, what a cute idea to get for the kids…..

I can imagine all the “muuuum”ing that will happen over the next few days, though.
    Yet I’m guessing your really yummy looking eggplant and hummus sandwich will keep them quite (until the last bite)…. :D

14. muuuuuuuuum… that sandwich was so good…. can I feed it to the birds? hehehe ;)

15. I’m not a big humus fan, but the rest of the family would like this sandwich. I’d take the eggplant though! Love the muuuuuuuums!

• You can omit the humus..there are plenty of other flavors in the sandwich..and even if you try it with the humus..it is not a dominant flavor, more of a background note

16. Now this is a serious sandwich – great combination of wonderful flavours – well done to Muuuuuuuuuum. :-) Mandy

17. I wish you knew just how much we love our hummus! It goes on any and everything in our house and sadly I have never paired it with eggplant until now! I have to try this! Wow it sounds amazing!

As far as the birds- it sounds like a great pet(s)!

18. This doesn’t sound strange to me at ALL! I love all those flavor combinations and I can never go wrong with eggplant! Using the mint seems like it will be very refreshing!!

• I use chickpeas and eggplant in rice dishes and they are heavenly so a sandwich seemed like a rasonable thing to try them in :)

19. Thank you for making me smile! This sandwich sounds and looks so delicious. Anything with hummus is a winner! :)

20. Now is this perfect or what- I even have a babaganoush/hummus hybrid in the fridge right now, so that would go perfectly in a sandwich with grilled eggplant! Gotta try it for lunch today. :)

21. This recipe makes me realize that I do not use mint enough, or at all for that matter. I would certainly like to try it though, this sandwich looks so filling, tasty and heathy!

22. What a gorgeous sandwich! I do love the mint and feta, and to pair them with eggplant??? Heavenly!

1. Chicken with eggplant and chickpeas « Chef in disguise