Ciabatta steak sandwich with rosemary garlic potatoes

Before we get to today’s recipe, I have some great news!

Remember the daring baker’s edible containers challenge?

I won 2nd place  in it! YAAAAAAAY

I have never won a contest  before! so you can understand how exciting this is to me. It is not the prize that matters (it’s a 25$ gift certificate from amazon)..it is to qualify to the top 5 in a group of amazingly talented people..and then to come in 2nd..it was truly an honor.

I want to thank each and every one who took the time to vote for my entry..There are no words to express my gratitude for your kindness. And a BIG thank you from the heart goes out to  you my readers..you are the ones who keep me motivated.. each time I find a new comment or a new subscription or when someone  “likes” the chef in disguise on facebook..my heart dances with joy…so to all of you

THANK YOU!

Our sandwich today is a combination of juicy meat that is LOADED with flavors,  melted cheese and delicious bread. What more could you ask for? A side of oven grilled potatoes with rosemary and garlic :)

Ciabatta steak sandwich (marinade adapted from all recipes)

3 loaves ciabatta (I used the ones with oregano and olives)

250 grams sirloin steak cut into very thin strips (this is easier if you freeze the steak then cut it)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 teaspoon paprika

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram

1/2 teaspoon dried basil

3 tablespoons vegetable oil

2 onion, sliced

1 green bell pepper, julienned

5 mushrooms sliced

1/4 teaspoon of dried basil and all spice to season the vegetables

Mix the oil with the other seasonings and pour over the sliced meat, toss to coat, set aside for 30 minutes to allow the meat to take up the flavors.

Heat half of the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Saute beef to desired doneness, and remove from pan. Heat the remaining oil in the skillet, and saute the onions for 2-3 minutes, add the mushrooms, saute for 3-5 minutes. Add the peppers and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add the basil, salt  and all spice.

Add the meat back and stir on medium heat for a couple of minutes.

Preheat oven on broiler setting.

Divide the meat between the loaves of bread, top with sliced cheese.

Wrap with foil.

Place on cookie sheet, and broil until cheese is melted.(I like to take mine out of the foil once the cheese has melted and toast the bread a little)

Rosemary garlic potatoes

potatoes cut into wedges

1/2 teaspoon all spice

1/2 teaspoon paprika

1 tablespoon dried rosemary (if you have fresh use 1/2 teaspoon)

Salt

1/2 teaspoon powdered garlic (or a couple of cloves of garlic)

Olive oil

In a bowl add the spices to the potatoes, drizzle the oil and toss to cover the potatoes with the mixture

Arrange the potatoes in a single layer in a pan, cover in foil

Place on the lowest rack of your oven and set the temperature to 220 C

after 20-25 minutes check on the potatoes (please take care when you lift the foil..very hot steam will come out) using a fork, (they will be done if they are fork tender)

Take the foil off and place the potatoes under  the broiler in till the tops are golden.

1. I am not sure what I am now craving more the fries or the sandwich! Both!

2. thisoldfriend

/  June 2, 2011

Now I have a serious craving that will haunt me until I sleep

3. Steak sandwiches are by far one of my favorites, and yours looks amazing! Great choice of bread. Congratulations on the edible bowl contest!!! So happy you won!!!

4. Hip, hip hooray! Way to go.:) This looks like a great cheesesteak! And those fries look amazing.

5. YAY congrats :) U deserved it totally!! Love the garlic potatoes you made.

6. mmmm meat, cheese, bread and potatoes. What more could a girl want?

7. Oh my gosh, this sandwich looks fantastic. Well, let’s be honest, the fries look pretty dang good as well. CONGRATS on placing 2nd in the challenge–well deserved!

8. I’ve had my dinner already. It was great. But now I have read this and I could definitely eat again.
    Sorry to be mean – but I blame you!

9. Oh, what a wonderful meal! This looks amazing! I would eat this every day if I could!

10. thisoldfriend

/  June 3, 2011

I have such a deep craving now…I can almost smell the sanwich and fries

11. Congratulations! You surely deserved to be in the top 5 and certainly number 2! I am so proud of you and happy for you! This sandwich is making me sooo hungry. We call these types of sandwiches cheese steaks over here and I have not have one in months! The ones around here are not as high quality as yours so I think I will break my routine and make this (and the potatoes!) this weekend. I CAN’T wait to try it!
    Congrats again!

12. Those potatoes look SO good, I’m about to eat my screen!
    A BIG congrats on the winning the 2nd prize… I’m so happy for you…

Just a note for next time, where is the voting done? I didn’t know where to go.. :-s

• Thank you Fati :) the vote was on the daring kitchen website ..there is no next time…that was an exceptional challenge with a vote and prizes..all the other challenges are just challenges to make the recipe…no winners are named

13. This sandwich sounds great…but what I really want are those potatoes right now! Yum! Congrats on your winnings! Woo hoo!

• Thank you so much for the congrats and for your kind comment..I really love these potatoes and serve them as a side dish to many many meals

14. I am pretty sure that sandwich just took my breath away. Not sure if I can breathe at the moment. It looks so so so good! My husband would just be floored if I made that soon. Thanks so much!

15. At first, all my congrats for your 2nd place on the challenge, you deserve it Sawsan.
    One of my favourite sandwiches and yours looks yummy yummy …
    Don’t mention the potato great companion, love it.
    Thank you sawsan.

16. Now that’s a sandwich!! Ciabatta bread is my favorite and that melting cheese looks so yummy! Congrats on your award!!

17. Yes! Congrats on the 2nd place Sawsan! Nice! And this sandwich looks delicious. My husband would love this so much. As a potato lover, my eyes went to your rosemary potatoes first. LOL. Looks delicious and what a great meal! And I totally understand. We work hard as a food blogger and we appreciate when we find someone showing the interest to what we are doing by comment/subscription/FB fan… :-) And I love your blog!

1. Honey rosemary chicken « Chef in disguise